DIY Cell dialer for shop alarm

/ DIY Cell dialer for shop alarm #1  

JRP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800
My shop has a loud alarm system, but no phone wires. Today I adapted a prepaid cell phone such that it will dial my cell number if the alarm is triggered. Had to open the case and solder tiny wires, but it looks like it will work. A 12v relay wired to the alarm horn signal will signal the cell phone to call me. AT&T GO Phone has a $2 per day plan, you only pay for days used. I think if I test two times per month the cell line charge will be $4 per month.

Would it interest others to have a phone call if their shop is burgled?

/ DIY Cell dialer for shop alarm #2  
There are also kits from Velleman that allow you to turn things on/off using cell phones remotely.

/ DIY Cell dialer for shop alarm #3  
Great idea. How did you get the phone to dial your number? Did you punch in your number and then the alarm just triggers the "send/call" switch on the keypad?

/ DIY Cell dialer for shop alarm
KYErik said:
Great idea. How did you get the phone to dial your number? Did you punch in your number and then the alarm just triggers the "send/call" switch on the keypad?

In my cell phone I entered the alarm phone number as SHOP ALARM. in the alarm phone I set up my cell phone number in speed dial list, I chose number 8. If I hold down the 8 button it dials my cell number, and my cell says SHOP ALARM. Next I removed the number keypad from the alarm phone and cut out the number 8, exposing the gold pads the button contacts. To these tiny pads I soldered two wire and applied silicone glue to retain the wires. The wires go to Normally open relay contacts. When the alarm sounds it energizes the relay coil, Which close the NO contacts and the alarm phone speed dials my cell phone.

/ DIY Cell dialer for shop alarm #6  
Nice idea! I am going to have to make sure I get a signal out in the barn before I try this.

/ DIY Cell dialer for shop alarm #8  
Along the same lines although shorter distance, instant and free, I built a bunch of game radios for hog hunting. The use digital voice recorders and IR motion sensors.

attachment.jpg

attachment-1.jpg

Attachments

• attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 236
   / DIY Cell dialer for shop alarm #10  
JRP,
Great Idea.
I have wireless driveway alert alarms on my entry doors from HF, $13.99 when on sale, good to 200+ ft they say. One of those set up inside the outbuilding would let you know in the house and hooked up to your cell phone dialer would call you anyplace. Remember not to lock the cat in the garage though.