>>> HARBOR FREIGHT CRANE <<<

/ >>> HARBOR FREIGHT CRANE <<< #1  

BearKiller

Silver Member
I have a Harbor Freight crane, the bigger/taller one with a hand-cranked winch.

My son got it for me several years ago and it has been used almost daily.

Lately, the hydraulic jack has started leaking fluid.

First, it started dripping around the little "ON/OFF" screw-thingie whenever the screw was turned in to LIFT position.

Now, it has also starting pouring freely around the pump-shaft.

So long as there is fluid in the reservoir, the jack is a strong as ever.

I have searched and searched online for a replacement jack; all I find are much longer.

Are these leaks something I can repair myself ??

If not, where am I going to get a replacement jack ??

Thanks.

/ >>> HARBOR FREIGHT CRANE <<< #2  
Check with HF for replacement/repair parts. They are probably available.

/ >>> HARBOR FREIGHT CRANE <<< #4  
BearKiller said:
I have a Harbor Freight crane, the bigger/taller one with a hand-cranked winch.

My son got it for me several years ago and it has been used almost daily.

Lately, the hydraulic jack has started leaking fluid.

First, it started dripping around the little "ON/OFF" screw-thingie whenever the screw was turned in to LIFT position.

Now, it has also starting pouring freely around the pump-shaft.

So long as there is fluid in the reservoir, the jack is a strong as ever.

I have searched and searched online for a replacement jack; all I find are much longer.

Are these leaks something I can repair myself ??

If not, where am I going to get a replacement jack ??

Thanks.

If you go to their web site and call the customer service number, after downloading the pdf of the manual, so you can identify the part number of the jack,they'll send one for something like $20 plus or minus depending on shipping.

I had to get a new one last year after mine froze up, as you say, it saved my back a bunch of times, so the price was well worth it.

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...

/ >>> HARBOR FREIGHT CRANE <<< #5  
Am I missing something. Isnt the jack just a regular bottlejack that you can pickup at HF or Northern or many of the similar places.

/ >>> HARBOR FREIGHT CRANE <<< #6  
seems HF has a quality problem with that little hydraulic screw part. A friend of mine had his crane give way while he was under it; a fail on that part. Seemed he might have tightened it too tight, which broke it inside.
Not very HD for sure, and apparently a light touch is what's needed. I own the same crane and so far, it works fine.

/ >>> HARBOR FREIGHT CRANE <<< #8  
Am I missing something. Isnt the jack just a regular bottlejack that you can pickup at HF or Northern or many of the similar places.

Hi,

What you are missing/not understanding is that both the ram and the base of the jack have a projection to fit into what amounts to a pair of clevises- one on the horizontal arm [beam] of the crane, and another on the upright post under the attachment point of the beam.

These swivel vertically to allow the angle changes caused by using the jack to raise or lower the beam.

Both of the projections also pivot on the jack to allow it to rotate to the best position for jacking or lowering.

I tried to come up with a method to change these over to another jack body, but I'm not hardly a welder, and anyway, I suspect welding to the base plate of the jack might cook the seals or whatever inside.

Thanks for asking.

Thomas

PS: Now that I'm at a real computer vs my Galaxy Tab, I can attach the HF Truck Crane Manual and tell you that the crane is HF sku/stock #3755 and the jack is listed as part number 12 in the crane parts list.

When I called, they knew exactly what I was talking about once I had given the stock number for the crane.

Also I'm sorry, but I misquoted the price- it was actually $28 prior to sales tax and shipping, which added up to $37 total. [But for me the improvement in utility of the crane and saving me from back pain was well worth it.]

Attachments

• HF Truck Crane Stock number 37555.pdf
    506.4 KB · Views: 410
   / >>> HARBOR FREIGHT CRANE <<< #9  
i've reapired MANY small hyd jacks with standard orings.

I also have a habit of some jacks , using gear oil in them vs hyd fluid.

one jack I have.. i swear it does not have a chromed rod.. and the mill makrs on it tend to make it weep oil.. or it used to. with 80w90 or 85/140 in it.. it's strong as a solid rock.. :)

/ >>> HARBOR FREIGHT CRANE <<< #10  
Hi,

What you are missing/not understanding is that both the ram and the base of the jack have a projection to fit into what amounts to a pair of clevises- one on the horizontal arm [beam] of the crane, and another on the upright post under the attachment point of the beam.

These swivel vertically to allow the angle changes caused by using the jack to raise or lower the beam.

Both of the projections also pivot on the jack to allow it to rotate to the best position for jacking or lowering.

I tried to come up with a method to change these over to another jack body, but I'm not hardly a welder, and anyway, I suspect welding to the base plate of the jack might cook the seals or whatever inside.

Thanks for asking.

Thomas

PS: Now that I'm at a real computer vs my Galaxy Tab, I can attach the HF Truck Crane Manual and tell you that the crane is HF sku/stock #3755 and the jack is listed as part number 12 in the crane parts list.

When I called, they knew exactly what I was talking about once I had given the stock number for the crane.

Also I'm sorry, but I misquoted the price- it was actually $28 prior to sales tax and shipping, which added up to $37 total. [But for me the improvement in utility of the crane and saving me from back pain was well worth it.]

I understand what you are saying about the mounting points on the jack. My point is I have seen those very same jacks, with all sorts of different lengths and weight ratings, on the store shelfs of Harborfreight, notherntool and even at the local flea market. Finding a replacement jack shouldnt be that hard. Also, a bottle jacks are nothing more than hydraulic cylinders with a built in hand pump. There is nothing inside one of them that cant be replaced. Usually just a matter of finding the right Oring or piston seal, (that cost pennies) that can be found at a autoparts store. The cylinder itself can become worn and the same for the shaft but when this occurs, its usually just cheaper to replace the entire jack instead of rebuilding.