How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #121  
Large old hens and obnoxious roos that misbehave make very good dumplings and pot pies. I use incubators for hatching, never know how many pullets or how many roos will come out of each batch. Young roos make very good fryers.

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ?
That's a great line!

Ye s you never name your food ,we had a steer 2 yrs ago and named him bubba and gave him a football to play with ,When the time came butchering was tough , BUT HE WASN'T !

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #124  
Being ready for a week-to-month long disruption is always a good goal, and we're there ourselves. However, true end-of-world survivalist preparations are not much use to the large part of the American population that now depends on monthly deliveries of critical medicines. Without delivery of insulin, cardiac medicines, etc., all else quickly becomes irrelevant. That was a quite discouraging revelation, when Hurricane Ike shut down most SE Texas pharmacies for a couple of weeks.

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #126  
I have to respectfully disagree. Naming ones food is ok if one chooses appropriate names. Growing up we had steers with names like Burger King, Mr. Steak and Sizzler. :licking:

Same here, spring time is turkey time. We've had "Christmas" and "Thanksgiving" and so far the only thing the children worry about are getting feathers for this or that project.

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ?
I have to respectfully disagree. Naming ones food is ok if one chooses appropriate names. Growing up we had steers with names like Burger King, Mr. Steak and Sizzler. :licking:

Those are the names I could really dig my teeth into !

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #129  
Hmmm not so sure about that one, homeless people are not raising their own crops, storing food etc. they are extremely dependent on soup kitchens, food being in dumpsters, whatever. If nobody is eating in restaurants because of storm damage or lack of power etc. closed them there won't be any food in the dumpsters. Homeless people have learned to live on the edge of society is all.

Kinda like when you watch these prepper shows and the guy says "When the end of the world comes I am going to live off roadkill!" Where exactly is the roadkill going to come from if there is no fuel to power cars and nobody is driving around etc??

Living in a society where many people here are too lazy to get out of their cars to get a coffee, I do get your point Charlz. A large city is a huge structure, which can provide homeless people many opportunities to scavenge - and in the context of this TBN thread, you can say that their base level survival skills may not be up to the standards being discussed. Although, given the #'s of homeless Vets, quite a few would have been through advanced Survival training courses, once upon a time.

Wasn't trying to say that the chronic homeless in NYC are now living La Dolce Vita. I view this as shades of grey, in terms of skill sets.

If you have already been living on the Edge, you've plenty of practice living on next to nothing.

Exposure and lack of or bad water will take you down/kill you faster than lack of food. We all need food, but the first two better be taken care of first.

IMO, Street Guy has a bigger/better dataset to work with, than most Gucci clad urban cliff dwellers standing there clinging to a useless credit or ATM card. Just knowing what food can be scavenged, and what can't is pretty important.

As has been commented, one guy was on camera complaining about the cold, while surrounded by mountains of wrecked, burnable furniture.

Personally, I tend to look for data in places some people won't/can't. Not everyone understands what I'm doing, nor agrees - I'm fine with that.

I'm wishing the affected people a speedy recovery.

Rgds, D.

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #130  
I am not a dedicated survivor. We are set up for a week. I watched an add on TV today about a program about a survivor that always had a back up plan for everything. He even married the sister of a twin just in case. His wife and her twin sister were posing in the picture with him. I'm going to have to give this a bit of thought before I go whole hog survivor.

Whistlepig - I'm still trying to decide if that behaviour constitutes Prepping for Disaster, or CREATING an even bigger one !

:laughing:

Rgds, D.

Status
Not open for further replies.