Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CT235

Default Re: How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
    We got our eyes opened in the ice storm of 2009 in much of KY. Some were three weeks without power.
    We were three weeks without power in January in eastern Ontario. We were very fortunate that the mercury didn't drop to normal temperatures during that period. It still ranks as one of the most expensive natural disasters in North America, and the worst in Canadian history.
    Tim.

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Quote Originally Posted by rekees4300 View Post
    No way and anybody who says they could are delusional. The folks in Sandy's path are getting water from the outside world. If they weren't they would all be dead by now!
    Mea culpa ... use of the word "anybody" was an exaggeration.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Like most that have replied I am ready for...what...a month. I suspect if fuel and electricity were not available for longer than that most of us would be in trouble. There are too many services we are dependent on today. I just can't agree with those that keep bashing the Sandy victims. We had an earthquake kit when I lived in San Francisco but there was no way we could have a tractor, fuel storage, generator and food put up for months when I lived there. You were above average if you had off street parking.

MarkV

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

Quote Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
    Like most that have replied I am ready for...what...a month. I suspect if fuel and electricity were not available for longer than that most of us would be in trouble. There are too many services we are dependent on today. I just can't agree with those that keep bashing the Sandy victims. We had an earthquake kit when I lived in San Francisco but there was no way we could have a tractor, fuel storage, generator and food put up for months when I lived there. You were above average if you had off street parking.

MarkV

This is why I started this thread , Most people are clueless about taking care of themselves ( not pointing at anyone in particular ) I don't know if you agree or not but it's not the governments job to provide you with food /housing/or medical care ,you should be able to take care of yourself and if not ...STARVE !

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2006 Kubota L39 TLB, Bobcat S160 Skid Steer

Very interesting question. If a major disaster hit as long as the wife and I wern't injured I believe we would be really OK for at least a month ormore. We have food, water (land borders a river with fish and wildlife) and I have plenty of firewood. Without any electricty, my diesel and propane would be low or gone after 3 to 4 weeks and things would be a lot harder. I would actually be more concerned about folks trying to make themselves at home with what I have. I only live about 55 miles from a major metro area and I expect hungry and thirsty folks would begin to leave the city if the government didn't get help quickly. My son lives in that metro area and he and his wife and son wouldn't last nearly as long. Don't like to think about that.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

I agree that most folks affected by Sandy merely sat back and assumed the government would be there to hold their hand and wipe their asses. This presents an opportunity for those of us who are more self-sufficient: are we really prepared for a month or so off the electric grid? Time to find out and really get prepared.

Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
    Tractor
    JD 2210

My guess is many of us here would fare better than a lot of people who don't know how to hunt/fish, etc. At my house, we would be fine for a long time. My survival skills are pretty good. I can still cut firewood with an axe (no gasoline needed), but my problem would be getting water out of my deep well without electricity. Actually, I do want to install some kind of hand pump on my well that will pump water from over 100' depth. My well is 500' and water level is about 60' from top. With water, we could make it just about forever! When I think of being able to "make" it, I think of no electricity, no gasoline, etc. Right now, my only lack is hand pumped water. But - I am on 9 acres of land too! It would be totally different if I were in the city!
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
    "I wouldn't want to be within 400 or 500 yards of one of them newfangled nuclear bombs when it went off!" WW1 Vet...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

We have about 6mts of food for the 3 of us (emergency essentials). I have my wood stove in the basement and wood if needed. We have an outdoor bread oven that can be used to cook, heat it up and it will hold heat for days. We have cast iron for cooking over the fire. I can brew, have a water distilation device, have water filters. I can hunt with bow or rifle or musket, and can fish if needed. I have snares. I have good axes (g.bruks) and a few gallons of fuel. also have first aid supplies, and a great library. I have a grain mill, and oil press, have done a lot of permiculture with apples, pears, peaches, and nut trees.
    But looking realistically at what I really need for an extended situation. 1. would be a hand pump on my well, water is so important, and i dont have a genny. 2. sawyer .02 filter (is able to be reused) + pool shock to help kill baddies in the water. Homemade water filter using materials from Walmart and other giant retailers - Survivalist Forum is the best post i have found on water issues.
    I also need a smoke house, and root cellar. but my main issue keeping me up at night is our water. I have been trying to save up but we have a deep well, and its going to run an estimated 2k for the pipe and hand pump. With day care costs I just cant swing it atm. Barbed wire and a few more t posts would also help

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

One thing that really puzzles me is the need for volunteers in the disaster areas. I can certainly understand getting outside help with power restoration - wait a minute, those crews were turned away because they were non-union.

The victims should be able to do some things like preparing and passing out food, meds and blankets. Sending people from the outside to perform many of the tasks only serves to increase the number of people to feed within the areas.

I am NOT in any way suggesting we shouldn't assist people who are in need. I am wondering if some of the volunteers flock to these events just to gawk or get their pictures on the 11:00 News. I mean, dishing out food in a cafeteria line isn't rocket science. Send supplies and a couple of cooks and let 'em help for pete's sake. They'll likely feel good about helping themselves if they're normal.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

We have a whole house generator hooked to a large propane tank that feeds the house. Have 2 separate pantries filled with general provisions plus 2 freezers. These are generally necessary cause i live in the sticks anyways, and dont enjoy traveling to town for every little thing.

I live on 20 wooded acres, and always have split firewood stored in dry area.

I have parts to repair almost anything on my property in the shop, and a plasma table to make something i dont have at the time.

Phone...well if cell towers go down, i can live without the stupid noisy device. would probably be happier without it.

As to water, theres a trillion trillion gallon fresh water lake 8 miles away if it ever got down to that. However our HOA has a generator attached to the main water well also.

I generally keep 30 gal of Diesel on hand and 20 gal of regular unleaded. 500 gal of propane. If it was truly bad conditions, i wouldnt be traveling the roads anyways.

so i guess were pretty self sufficient for awhile if necessary.

I grew up in Calif earthquake country, and have lived thru 3 of those bad boys. Its amazing how stupid the average human being becomes around an emergency. After the Northridge quake, people were complaining of having no water to drink....while a 50 gallon cold (hot) water tank sat in their garage full of water. people don't know how to think any longer. its truly scary.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast