Page 37 of 62 FirstFirst ... 273435363738394047 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Default Re: How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Something like that would give a good argument for the older non computer pieces of equipment and just buy a few condensors wrap them in lead and bury them for later use/need ,Would that work ?
    Things that might survive are tube radios, cars before the new electronics but still I think a lot more would survive. You can bury stuff if you want, wrap it in tin foil might help. I wouldn't do it myself especially in the boondocks where we live! I think you need a pretty big shot to knock things out but I haven't looked into the science of it.
    Rob

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Scientists ? a vet ? electronics ? Give me a couple good ol country boys and their wives" IF" I had to be in a group and we will stay right here in the woods of east TN and survive well !

Technology is not your enemy, it's your friend. How many people want to go back to living in caves? You're working on a computer here, not mailing out paper work from an old Remington typewriter. You're already using technology to benefit your life just like your grandfather used the technology available to him. The technology here is helping people prepare. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water as the saying goes.

Your thinking cracks me up.
    Rob

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-D View Post
    Technology is not your enemy, it's your friend. How many people want to go back to living in caves? You're working on a computer here, not mailing out paper work from an old Remington typewriter. You're already using technology to benefit your life just like your grandfather used the technology available to him. The technology here is helping people prepare. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water as the saying goes.

Your thinking cracks me up.
    Let's please just stay with the thread and not attack my way of thinking !if you have a statement post it don't start with the personal attacks . IMHO that worst thing to ever happen to America is the amount of technology has turned the people into useless cubicle workers relying someone else to provide for them and the yuppie crowd turns my stomach ! if everything some people have is financed some people own nothing just rent it until some people finance another of whatever the flavor of the month is to keep up with the neighbor .

("you" has been changed to some people so "you" don't think this post is directed at "you")

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Let's please just stay with the thread and not attack my way of thinking !if you have a statement post it don't start with the personal attacks . IMHO that worst thing to ever happen to America is the amount of technology has turned the people into useless cubicle workers relying someone else to provide for them and the yuppie crowd turns my stomach ! if everything some people have is financed some people own nothing just rent it until some people finance another of whatever the flavor of the month is to keep up with the neighbor .

("you" has been changed to some people so "you" don't think this post is directed at "you")
    I didn't attack you, we just think diametrically opposed and I find that humorous. Where is the attack in that? You're ready to abandon technology while you're typing on the net to get opinions on sufficiency, forgive me if I find that funny!

Don't blame technology, it's just science. That's like blaming your car for breaking down, it's called an anthropomorphism. People becoming couch potatoes is entirely their doing.
    Rob

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by tungularafishcamp View Post
    So all our house wiring would go too as well as all vehicles, a quick trip to the stone age, better get busy whittling a bigger set of oars
    that's why the telegraph lines burned... they were a long 1-turn secondary..

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

. IMHO that worst thing to ever happen to America is the amount of technology has turned the people into useless cubicle workers
    technology has not changed people to being useless.. LAZY people have caused people to be useless.

take a good go-getter, team leader type productive worker.. then give him superior tools.. and he will keep rising tot he occasion if he is able and capable, and properly compensated or appreciated, or feels his contribution is worth it.

take an equally talanted lazy person and give them high tech.. and they find an easier way to
    do less and still stay employed.

ever hear the phrase: want to know the easest way to do something? ask a lazy person to do it.

i'm not lazy. i work with high tech and cutting edge electronics every day. heck.. back inthe day I was building some of those cutting edge electronics. I work 2 jobs to keep the familly going.. and run a farm. AND have a few hobbies. no lazy in me.. and i have high tech.

it all boils down to the person.

fast cars don't make bad drivers.

forks don't make people fat.

cigarettes setting in a pack don't cause lung cancer.. ( smoking them might though! )

Silver Member
    Well... permanent adresses is Bonaventure, Eastern Quebec, Canada
    Tractor
    White LT 18hp B&S old beater

I think keeping a lot of canning supply ( rims, seal, jar) would be a good thing too. If you don't have a fridge or freezer for what ever reason andd you can gather extra food , fissh, meat, veggies, ect.... Then you can can for future need. You can even put the canning pot on a open fire. Even if you have no spice at all and you just can the stuff as is, even if it have almost no taste, youu still have ppreseerve food.
    Life is Highway. One day, I will retired at home.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TCE45

Scientists ? a vet ? electronics ? Give me a couple good ol country boys and their wives" IF" I had to be in a group and we will stay right here in the woods of east TN and survive well !
    I am beginning to wonder if you ever bother to read what people post. You are very quick to condemn. The group I have in mind has 4 "good ol country boys" and their wives - well, 2 of the boys are better described as "good young country boys". As soon as you, or anybody else, take a shot or light a fire you give away your location - and you will be up against other "good ol country boys" in any confrontation. You will also be up against ex-military city boys who have been under fire before too. If you are not in a group then your attackers have the very easy task of just wearing you down by sleep deprivation.

Your 15 miles out in the woods is a morning's stroll for 4 of the people in my group. They often cover 50 miles in a day just for the heck of it, climbing what are known as Munros on the way, in Scotland, in winter. That is just one of the reasons they are in the group. You started the post asking for peoples' opinions, but you continually attack anyone who thinks differently to yourself. Most of the other posters on here are at least trying to reason with each other, even if they have differences of opinion.

See if you can read and understand Robert Burns' "Address to the unco guid".

And just to show no favouritism, I disagree with Rob-D about a vegetarian diet. As now, I would, if possible, consume a large quantity of fruit and vegetables, but also eat meat and dairy products. He does say to eat fish, and I have that at least twice a week. I do not count calories, but consume a lot and have been in the weight range of 198-202 pounds for over 40 years. I do physical work about 8 or 9 hours a day 7 days a week, but I know fine that I am no match for somebody 40 years younger, or with a gun big enough to blow holes through my walls. And neither is any other old man.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

I think keeping a lot of canning supply ( rims, seal, jar) would be a good thing too.
    We just got some of the reusable tattler seals. I will try them next year.
    www.stormspoons.com my website
    http://www.etsy.com/people/Forgeblast?ref=pr_profile
    Is where I also have spoons listed.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by OldMcDonald View Post
    I am beginning to wonder if you ever bother to read what people post. You are very quick to condemn. .
    i'm guessing maybee not.

might be some of that projection thing going on again

Page 37 of 62 FirstFirst ... 273435363738394047 ... LastLast