Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 1512

Default Wood Splitter build need some suggestions on mounting tables

Hello All,

Just finished up my first wood splitter build. Started out with a two mobile home trailer tongues for the frame. I had to weld two of the beams together to get the width. I then places a plate on top of the newly created beam. I am using a 212 cc HF engine, 11 gpm two stage pump, 4x24 cylinder and a propane tank as a hydraulic reservoir. I did some testing today and things seem to work well. I have about 8ft of the 3 inch x 10 inch I beams left and was planning on building a table for each side by the wedge. I was looking for ideas on how to attach removable tables. Specifically a good way to attach them to the beam but still quickly to remove with a few hopefully no tools. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood Splitter build need some suggestions on mounting tables-material.jpg   Wood Splitter build need some suggestions on mounting tables-beams-welded-together.jpg   Wood Splitter build need some suggestions on mounting tables-piston-valve-.jpg   Wood Splitter build need some suggestions on mounting tables-complete-tank-side.jpg   Wood Splitter build need some suggestions on mounting tables-engine-side.jpg  

Tractor
    kubota mx5100hst

Default Re: Wood Splitter build need some suggestions on mounting tables

You might be able to use 2" receiver hitch tubing welded on the splitter and regular 2" tube on the table. Then it would just be a matter of attaching or removing a couple 5/8" pins. Just a thought....

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

I think using the i-beam would be unnecessarily heavy. I would build the tables with angle iron and then add a couple of vertical legs that would slip into vertical sections of square tube on the side of the splitter beam. You would also probably want some diagonal bracing under the table also.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 1512

Just so we are all on the same page. The I-beam only has 1/4 inch thick webbing so it is not really that heavy. I attached a cross section photo of the material. I actually used this material to make a tray which I mounted the engine and hydraulic tank onto. You can see in the photo I cut one of the edges off. I was thinking similar material would make a nice table. Also I have 8ft of it laying on the ground. I also have some 6 inch wide material that could work.

Wood Splitter build need some suggestions on mounting tables-cross-section.jpg

Tractor
    Kubota B-7500

When we added the platform on our splitter we used angle iron and the 1 steel pipes. Also added a hydraulic lift for the bigger chunks of wood.

For the pipe portion we added a section of angle iron to hold the pipes. One problem is that the angle is not that strong. A small I-beam would have been a better choice, but when doing things on a budget I decided to go cheap and use what we had on hand.
    Once it is time to rebuild it we will beef that portion up.

With the hydraulic lift we had to add a second jack to stable the splitter. I stood on the lift and when I activated the controller the first time it actually picked up the wheel on the opposite side of the splitter. Didn稚 tip over, but it certainly could have if I continued to operate the control up.

Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood Splitter build need some suggestions on mounting tables-img_5301.jpg   Wood Splitter build need some suggestions on mounting tables-img_5303.jpg