ETA TBN member nomination thread

/ ETA TBN member nomination thread #61  
Maybe I am mis-reading the posts, but I dont see any arguing??? I do see good discussion though. Everyone has shared their opinion on how they think the selection should. But again, wheres the arguing? ALL I see is mature discussion with some very valid and relevant points made from all sides.

/ ETA TBN member nomination thread #62  
who would have thought that such a great idea would have turned into such a problem, especially on this forum. I have been a member or lurked on quite a few forums and this is one that I thought one could expect honest, mature results from. I just can't believe that this has turned into an argument.

Yes, but a good argument reveals what people are really thinking.
EA's response is great, and LD1's spot on - they know what ability/resources their target fabricator needs for the first kit.

/ ETA TBN member nomination thread #63  
Maybe I am mis-reading the posts, but I dont see any arguing??? I do see good discussion though. Everyone has shared their opinion on how they think the selection should. But again, wheres the arguing? ALL I see is mature discussion with some very valid and relevant points made from all sides.
I agree LD1 and EA's stating that they will choose from top candidates was something discussed initially and I think is a great idea.

/ ETA TBN member nomination thread #64  
who would have thought that such a great idea would have turned into such a problem, especially on this forum. I have been a member or lurked on quite a few forums and this is one that I thought one could expect honest, mature results from. I just can't believe that this has turned into an argument.

I guess I don't see it as an argument but a discussion of how to assure the best solution for developing the desired outcome.

It is an awkward (due to being online and doing one idea at a time) brainstorming session to allow all ideas to be put forth and then develop those ideas into a good working solution. I have to give EA credit for allowing a group of non-employees (call us a focus group) to hash-out all the ideas that have been put forth. It will either be a colossal failure and they will abandon the ideas or it will be very successful and will open another line of sales for their company.

TBN members have discussed the pros and cons of the most talented fabricators (based upon past online postings and pictures) vs the average Joe being the correct target for the sample unit. All points are valid, which of these views is more important can be debated forever in this context. I believe the most important is the ability to document the process since they, EA, and us members cannot see the build accomplished in person so will have to view it though the documented work.

We have a few members who have shown fantastic fabrication/welding skills and have documented their work very thoroughly.
We also have a few members who have documented their work in a fantastic and very thorough manner but have not shown the extreme level of fabrication skills (even though they may possess them but the projects they have shown just did not require lots of welding) that the aforementioned folks have shown. Which is more important? Documentation, in my opinion is the most important skill necessary in this process. Not just pictures but a written litany of what they were thinking and doing as they progressed on the project.
It will be a lot of work for the member to properly document their work.

/ ETA TBN member nomination thread #65  
IF it were me, I wouldnt limit myself to the top 3, or top 5, or top whatever. You guys have been members of this board long enough to know who is capable of what. If you guys are willing to to give out a free kit, it should be WHOEVER you want. Regardless of popularity on TBN. You know the skill-set you are marketing this kit for, and I am sure you will pick appropriately, from ALL who would be willing, and NOT just the 3 or 5 most popular. :2cents:

+1

ultimately it should be ETAs decision on who they feel can best meet their needs.

/ ETA TBN member nomination thread #66  
I just hope this will be successful and get off the ground. I am looking forward to what ETA can offer. It would be great to have a source for implements you could build and hopefully also individual purchase of some components to allow us hacks the abililty to modify some existing implements, etc.

/ ETA TBN member nomination thread #67  
maybe arguing wasn't the correct word to use, it just seemed that some people were getting bitter when their ideas were not agreed upon unanimously. The reason that this is frustrating is that I too am excited for EA to work this out as I am interested. I do like the way that they have responded and think as of yet that is probably the best solution. I just don't want them to be discouraged.

/ ETA TBN member nomination thread #68  
Been quietly watching from the sidelines,I too can almost see the makings of a popularity contest.... I believe the build should be done with someone of average knowledge and with average tools needed to 'assemble' said implement kits. Someone with the know-how but with the 'average' tools and equipment to carry out said task.

Not to disregard the talented TBN members, there are a lot of VERY qualified personal such as spudland dave, 4shorts and others who have presented quite some impressive builds like heavily modified box blades, power rakes to snow wings.

ETA should have the final say, TBN should provide the contestants from the very deep pool of talent that is here. I just feel it would be better done with the average 'thrifty' person with there average tools and know how, That's the kind of people who will be buying these kits. TBN is chock full of them, me being one of them.

Therefor, I nominate ME. I have a 120V lincoln mig welder, grinders, clamps, pneumatic tools, torch and so on. I have built and or have rebuilt my own implements mostly from remnants of other farm implements such as a sprayer, cultivator, tree tie ring, tree seedling planter and forks for my F.E.L. Most of which was done LONG before T.B.N.

Heck, thats why I joined T.B.N for more ideas, Ideas like Teds implement kits. I think it's a stellar idea all the way around.

/ ETA TBN member nomination thread #69  
Well, I dont have a need for any of the tractor attachments, dont even own a proper farm tractor, so I wouldnt want to do the build. I have miller plasma, and mig, Lincoln stick and tig, drill press and chop saw and oxy/acy. I also have a monarch 14in lath. I have built many a trailor, even dumps. Several wood splitters and built rotory mowers to attach to mini trackhoes. I have built buckets for FELs and scoops for 3pt. I have built knuckel booms and big stick type log loaders. While I dont really have a need for pre-cut, do it yourself attachment kits. I do have a need for a source for someone to cut out parts for whatever my next build might be. Does Everything Attachments do custom metal cutting? While I usually plasma cut or oxy/acy cut out parts, this usually results in lots of grinding for proper fitment and welding. I can certainly see the need for a company that will cnc cut special order parts that would fill my needs. As a note, there isnt anybody close that I know of that does this sort of custom cutting.

/ ETA TBN member nomination thread #70  
Muddstopper:

If you haven't yet, Google waterjet cutting, laser cutting, etc for North Carolina. There should be services available in your state. I found a number in Colorado along the Front Range where I live; but I got better service and pricing by going to Greeley instead of Denver, which is closer.