DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time
Where can you buy this stripping? Is it only available in US or is it handled by a chain retailer? just what I am looking for;

I forget where I bought the material but would think it would be easy to get in Canada. 8 or so years ago a customer wanted to experiment with reducing air flow out of a building by using the strip material to make curtains at their exhaust hoods. I'm pretty sure it was an internet / credit card purchase in lieu of one of our regular vendors. If you google "plastic strip doors" you'll get a bunch of hits. My material is 8" wide and I don't know what gauge. I just did a quick google and found material up to 48" wide. If I recall correctly, it was cheaper for us to buy a bulk roll instead of multiple precut pieces. The roll I cut from has been languishing on a dusty shelf since then. Every now and then a piece comes in handy for something.

This build has been quite an experience, and I appreciate the positive comments. Cost wasn't appreciably above the target, but it took at least twice the time than I figured on. The people at work helped when they could without interfering with work for "paying customers".

One thing I'd do differently is the glass installation. The regular butyl glass glue is a large pain. I'd do silicone for both bedding the glass and caulking it.

The shape of the cab did two things:

1. It satisfied my desire of having made something with character and matched the mental image I had of the cab.
2. It added a degree of difficulty and increased the labor needed for the build.

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #94  
Very nice design and craftsmanship.

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #95  
Yes I agree, the cost came in about where I figured but the time it is taking was double what I thought but still worth the effort. will look for that door stripping on line. great job on your cab especially the design impressive to say the least. I am amazed at the number local people who do such work and yet there seems to be very few companies willing to make these cabs when there is such a demand or the ones that are out there how overpriced their product is. My cost and labor were less then half of the cheapest one out there which was a sims cab

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #96  
Both the stripping and the Armaflex should be available through a refrigeration (or perhaps restaurant) supply house; I used to work with the stuff all the time (previous lifetime).

Armaflex insulation is very good stuff, available in both tubes --for piping-- and sheets. Here's what I did to my extra-large domestic water pressure tank, to keep it from sweating in the summer; worked very well:

DSC04541.JPG

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time
Finally got her home and put in some seat time today. We had a project at the church that involved taking wheelbarrows of clean stone and dumping them into an areaway. There was no machine access, but the guys welcomed the big orange shovel to load the 14 tons of stone so all they had to do was drive the wheelbarrows and not shovel the stone into them. It only took about 1-1/2 hours start to finish and about 10 minutes drive time each way.

Whe I got back home I washed her and took a few shots. One problem I discovered is that the trunk paint I was so happy with is WATER SOLUBLE! Splashed some water around the inside of the doors and it loosened the speckled paint. Looks like a little scrub-off and touch-up work will be done in the spring.

Anyway, here is the finished product:

Small Done 3.jpgSmall Done 1.jpgSmall Done 2.jpg

Last edited:
   / DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #98  
You have some serious fabrication skills. Well done!

Joe

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #99  
Great Job, looks great, there is nothing a like a plan that comes together and turns out right.

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #100  
I want to live where you do if the grass is that green now, 25 below and 2 ft of snow where I am and 2 and half months more to go.