DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #101  
Looking good. That sucks about the trunk paint being water soluble. Can you put a clear-coat on it to protect it?

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #102  
Very impressive! Yeah, I was staring at the grass, too....

As far as the paint being water-soluble-- yes, some covering; maybe a spray can of artist's fixatif or model plane fuel-proof clearcoat?

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time
Thanks fellas. The grass IS that green and it's disgusting. I'll trade you green grass for a couple feet of snow! I enjoyed playing in the snow on an open tractor for the last 23 years we lived here and I figured it would be a lot nore fun if I could keep warm.

The trunk paint is a bummer, but I wanted to make the problem known in case someone thought it was something they wanted to use on one of their projects. As small as the areas are where I used the stuff, it wouldn't be too terrible to wash it off and do some kind of brush multicolor dab-on faux paint that looks similar. Then I'd be sure of what I've got. There's already primer and in some places ROPS gray under the trunk paint.

Not sure if I mentioned it but I need a slightly shorter wiper. The wiper kit came with a teensy wiper. When I set it up at the shop, I bought a much larger wiper blade and it covered a nice area and stopped about an inch short of hitting the painted frame on each side. When the windshield is wet the wiper blade has a lot less drag, and the tip of the wiper goes onto the windshield frame at the sides.

I can't complain much. All things considered it went pretty well and I did expect to hit a few bumps since it is my first attempt at something like this.

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #104  
Chim fine looking rig, excellent build. That is funny about the speckled paint. Years ago I painted the inside of my boat with that stuff and never had a problem. I guess all the new laws on paint ruined that too!!!!!!! Enjoy that cab and every time you get in it , think about all of us.

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #105  
One thing I'd do differently is the glass installation. The regular butyl glass glue is a large pain. I'd do silicone for both bedding the glass and caulking it.

Very nice job on the cab, I dont think silicone would standup well, I used it for my skidsteer cab, to secure Lexon to the door frame, it failed in less than 2 years. My plan was to use the rubber weather stripping, that is used in factory cab windows, but the Lexon and my frame were to thick. Maybe some of the auto windsheild trim around the glass would give a better finished look and hide butyl sealer? It is set in the butyl when the glass is installed. To bad about the trunk paint, it sure looked nice.

Dave

Dave

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #106  
It really came out great- you should be proud!

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #107  
Looks professional! I'm jellious! Can you make me one in Green!

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #108  
Yeah, looks great. I'm in the market for a cab but due to the age of my machine I may follow your lead and DIY one. You have inspired me! Great job. Out of curiosity, what were your material costs without labor?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time
Final cost was around $1,200. Largest expenses in round numbers were glass at $400, Steel tubing at $170, paint at $130, weatherstripping for $60 and heater at $150. The rest of the money went for all the small stuff like heater hose and valves, nuts and bolts, door handles, etc. The sheet metal for the top and what little there is on the sides was donated, as was the clear plastic strip material used on the lower front.

I have around 150 hours in it, which is a lot more than I thought it would take. Several guys at the shop pitched in a bit along the way. There were some especially "two man" moments while juggling some of the sections and trying to bolt them on without scratching the tractor.

As I mentioned in an early post, I am very glad I could take it to work and didn't do the project in the driveway. Our garage is not safe to weld in. I have an outlet there for my MIG welder, but I have a long cord and use it outdoors. It was a huge benefit to work inside with heat, good lighting and any tooling needed.

/ DIY Cab - Finally decided it was time #110  
Perfect, thanks for the info. No issues on space as I have plenty of room to work indoors. I wouldn't tackle something like this without it. I think it's time to start my build planning! Thanks again for the great post and updates.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet