An "axle-surrounding" type backhoe subframe

/ An "axle-surrounding" type backhoe subframe #31  
thanks ptgdigger.
You must not live in Ms or have not experienced our road systems unknowingly built over Yazoo clay which expands and contracts causing roadways to shift up and down several inches to several feet over varying distances. Use to see loads ejected off trailers and 18 wheeler trailers broken in half, though not in a while the soil and pavement shifts still occur.

/ An "axle-surrounding" type backhoe subframe #32  
Re: Luzhong 254 backhoe subframe

I have a Luzhong TC254 (similar to a Jinma 254) with a loader and 3 point hitch mounted backhoe (LW-6). Having never owned a tractor, I had no clue as to the benefits of a subframe vs. a 3 point hitch mounted backhoe . Much of my inspiration for tackling this project came from dfkrug. His thread is here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/171760-how-build-your-own-custom.html
In his thread, dfkrug describes two major types of subframes used to mount backhoes, a ladder frame and an "axle-surrounding" frame. After researching every subframe design I could find, I decided to go with 殿xle-surrounding type subframe. I created an amalgamation of all the design features I liked in the various designs I came across. The information dfkrug provided in his posts was invaluable. I hope my design might help some with a similar style tractor.

This was my first venture into metal fabrication. I had help from an experienced welder (not in the design phase), however, if could do it anyone could do it. Although it took much longer than I thought, mostly due to my work schedule, it was a rewarding process.

I first made some crude plywood templates as seen in the following pictures.

I had to remove the star shaped hub, so I could slip the template over the square axle housing (see picture).
View attachment 289377View attachment 289378View attachment 289379
Hello, I also have the Luzhong 254 would you be willing to make a second one and sell it to me ??????

/ An "axle-surrounding" type backhoe subframe #33  
Hello, would you be willing to make a second one and sell it to me ???

/ An "axle-surrounding" type backhoe subframe
Would you sell the wood forms if you still have them ?

Sorry for the delay in responding. Unfortunately I no longer have the wood forms. I'd be happy to provide you with measurements if that would help. I don't have any plans as the sub frame was designed on the fly. One of the hardest parts of the project was getting holes to align. It was especially difficult to position holes on the sub frame to align with existing threaded holes on the axle. I'm sure more veteran builders have developed tricks to make this process easier. Let me know if the measurements would help.

/ An "axle-surrounding" type backhoe subframe #37  
One of the hardest parts of the project was getting holes to align. It was especially
difficult to position holes on the sub frame to align with existing threaded holes on the axle.

In general, what I like to do to help with hole alignment is to provide some form of self-alignment
strategy. Usually, this takes the form of having one frame element push up and get stopped in at least
one dimension by another frame element. A "frame element" can also be a part of the tractor's carcass.

/ An "axle-surrounding" type backhoe subframe #38  
len a very impressive build, I was wondering if you could share the drawing for the 1/2 plate that the bh attaches to. I am trying to do this same mod to my Jinma 254 (Nortrack 254) with a Great Bend 652 Backhoe. Thanks