Temporary Carport Roof

/ Temporary Carport Roof #1  

fisherridge

Tractor
1976 Economy Power King 1614
One of my sons intends to build a pole building garage and shop nest year, but for this winter he wanted to erect a
temporary carport for some much needed shelter.
Previuosly we had cobbled together some temporary sheds with tarp covers to protect his yard and garden equipment and had
trouble with the tarps sagging with the weight of rain and snow.
He had an idea to put fence across the rafters to support the tarp on his carport and I had some 2"x4"x48" welded
wire fence left over from a fencing project.
I don't think it would be economical to buy fence for this purpose.
The uncut 2x6x12' rafters are on 48" centers and will be used on the garage to be built.

tarp_carport.JPG

/ Temporary Carport Roof #2  
I think in a good wind it may be gone. When I did construction work we covered a roof with a tarp and put concrete blocks on it to hold down, the wind took the blocks off and all over the yard. With no wind it will work great. Good luck!!!!!!

/ Temporary Carport Roof #3  
looks like a nice temporary shelter

/ Temporary Carport Roof #4  
if the walls are open it will last a long time made one my self 10 years ago and still working yet ..ps good job

/ Temporary Carport Roof #5  
i'm going to put up some scafolding and use planks to give me 14' width...then cover the planks/scaffold with tarp. should be good temporary.

then do the pole barn thingy :)

your structure looks fantastic!

/ Temporary Carport Roof #6  
Put a metal roof on and be done with it. By the time you get done with fencing and tarps it will probably cost the same.

/ Temporary Carport Roof #7  
Use tarpaper nails to nail it down. I find folding the tarp over an edge and doubling the tarp edge and it stays without problem when windy. Snow that melts and goes to ice can be a problem- should last a season.

/ Temporary Carport Roof
@SHORT KID, the wind was considered and the tarp is secured with bungies that should break and let the tarp go before any damage is done to the structure.

@hdmyers, Funny you should mention scaffold. The subject temporary car port is framed with junk scaffold bucks welded together.
Tarps over your scaffolds will work fine. Been there, done that.

@johnk, Think temporary. I mentioned in the original post that the fence was left over from a project and that I did not think it was economical to buy fence for this purpose.

@tcreeley, that's sure good advice and it is something he would have done if he thought the structure was strong enough.