Using vertical shaft engine on wood splitter

/ Using vertical shaft engine on wood splitter #11  
Agree with Ericher , Something just ain't right . Most store bought log splitters only use 5 to 7 h.p. engines and they do quite well with a range of 20 to 30+ tons . If his old engine was stalling , maybe to big a cylinder or as Ericher points out , no pressure relief . Me personally , I would of just skid plated it on the bottom to protect the pump as also was mentioned above .

Fred H.

/ Using vertical shaft engine on wood splitter #12  
maybe I'm wrong, but most pumps I look at say they can't be used with vertical shaft engines. I believe this is because gravity will put side load on bearings/ bushings, or perhaps even the housings internally and causing wear on the gears. The one's that can be used vertically must have some sort of thrust bearing or something to support the shaft and keep everything aligned internally.

/ Using vertical shaft engine on wood splitter #13  
Why hasn't the OP responded or posted in 2+ weeks???

/ Using vertical shaft engine on wood splitter #14  
My brothers Troybilt runs a vertical shaft , and although I have not went over it with a magnifying glass , looks identical to the pump that is on my harbor freight splitter .

Fred H.

/ Using vertical shaft engine on wood splitter #15  
Ok I think I have it now. I mount a plate to the engine. Then I fasten the mount I purchase from Surplus Center to the plate under the engine. And finally I fasten the pump to the mount. Correct ?

Yep. You got it.

/ Using vertical shaft engine on wood splitter #16  
I have a vertical shaft motor on my wood splitter. The kicker is that my hydraulic pump is off of a combine and it's belt driven. It's been doing it's thing since the early 80's. I might post pictures of it sometime since my father and I built it using what we had on hand at the time of the build. I've change one thing on it and added another.