shop door, needs replacement,

/ shop door, needs replacement, #1  

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
I have a old fiberglass roll up shop door, I bought it used for 35 dollars when I made the old barn into a shop, it was wore then and now nearly 20 years later it is really wore out and I had a goat that got in the shop and the door was up about a foot and he exited and took out the bottom panel,

I have a high delectable on the insurance on the building and the insurance would cover less than 50% of the doors cost, the prices I have got so far are $1800 to $2400,

was thinking maybe I could build some thing much cheaper,

my son was talking about a new shop door his boss just put in on there shop it is a one piece hydraulic lift, hanger type door,
I have seen some bi fold doors as well,

My door is 13 x13 rough size, I do not like the idea or the weight of a 13 x13 foot panel stuck out in the wind, like on the hydraulic doors, the bi fold door has some appeal as I could put a walk in door in the unit and some windows that would let in light and could see out of, I realize that a bi fold or hydraulic lift could cost more than a slider it would be power lift,

any other Ideas?

I am not really fond of sliders they could work, as there is room,

the pictures are not the best but gives on some idea of what I am trying to put a door on, (the walk in door does not enter the shop area, it goes in to a side room and then it enters about 20 feet in,

the tin was used take off that has set for some time, the price was right, and hope to paint it some time soon,

Attachments

• DCP_4063.JPG
    DCP_4063.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 760
  • jul01^45.jpg
    jul01^45.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 302
   / shop door, needs replacement, #2  
I think a standard roll-up door is going to be your best bet. Whether you can build replacement panels is known only to you based on your skills and tools, and the condition of the existing tracks, springs, etc.

Another type of roll-up door doesn't use panels; but is corrugated and rolls into a drum mounted above the header. These are generally used in industrial settings and have the advantage of saving ceiling space that could be used for electric lighting, and would allow you to have plenty of light and the door fully open on a hot summer's night.

/ shop door, needs replacement, #3  
Your fiberglass door is an overhead not roll up. Roll ups roll into a drum as mentioned before. They have their place but I prefer an overhead.

The $1800-2400 quotes are reasonable for a QUALITY overhead door (installed) that size. Those prices may even be a tad low.

I'm curious how a single panel hydraulicly operated door compares price wise. I've only seen them used on much bigger openings where the other option is usually a slider.

I'm sure you could build something cheaper but it will likely be heavier and harder to operate, won't last as long, require more maintenance, and not look as good as even a cheap roll up or overhead door. It's easy to spend other people's money but I suggest buying a quality overhead door like a Raynor. You could save a few bucks by doing the installation yourself.

/ shop door, needs replacement, #4  
check out Janus rollup doors. They are the type that actually roll up and are not sectional. I have a 12x12 unit on my shop. It includes an internal motor that rolls up the door with a push of a button. The operator unit is from a company called gliderol, and is sold by Janus doors. The unit is super easy to install. A neighbor helped me install mine in under 30 minutes...complete.

Roll Up Doors, Steel Door Manufacturer, Mini Storage Doors, Commercial Steel Rollup Doors

the rollup section is shipped complete, you install the two side legs than lift it into position, bolt into wall,. and hook up the opener circuit. theres a 3 wire connection between control unit and enclosed motor.

i dont remember what i spent on mine, but it was cheaper than all the local roll up door companies wanted here where i lived.... plus it had an opener already installed. wait till you price what an opener for a 12' tall door generally costs...

/ shop door, needs replacement,
Your fiberglass door is an overhead not roll up. Roll ups roll into a drum as mentioned before. They have their place but I prefer an overhead.

The $1800-2400 quotes are reasonable for a QUALITY overhead door (installed) that size. Those prices may even be a tad low.

I'm curious how a single panel hydraulically operated door compares price wise. I've only seen them used on much bigger openings where the other option is usually a slider.

I'm sure you could build something cheaper but it will likely be heavier and harder to operate, won't last as long, require more maintenance, and not look as good as even a cheap roll up or overhead door. It's easy to spend other people's money but I suggest buying a quality overhead door like a Raynor. You could save a few bucks by doing the installation yourself.

Thank you for the correction, on the definition of roll up and over head, I think I knew it but did not use it correctly, sorry for the misuse of the word,

(I do not know the price, of the hydraulic doors I am sure if bought would be much more expensive, thinking of some thing I can build my self, and possibly find surplus parts for to make it work, I have a old power pack hydraulic and have a motor to run it (granted it only 1000 psi but would work), may even have some single stroke cylinders, that could be adapted, yes the frame would be more steel than a roll up or a over head, but I could have a walk in door in the big door,

and real windows if wanted,

I have seen quality "ROLL UPS" and they seem to look as if there small slip to gether panels, and then it looks like there are some that are not much more if any more than tin (building sheets seamed to gether to a panel that rolls up on a drum, some looked like they had a web strap that would keep the panel from stretching,

do you think 4 and halve sheets of roofing tin and a bottom strip for a guide would work and last any time,

(I realize most roll ups look like they use a torsion spring to counter balance as will, but I think I have a idea that would counter balance it. safely),

the simple is to come up with a grand+ for the door, is not the easiest thing right now, and if I could get in 500 for parts would Make the thing more affordable, figuring about 200 for the tin, and 2 to 300 for the rest of the parts, and would scavenger as much as possible,

because even a slider would come close to $500, in parts, 200 again for the tin, and for the tacks and rollers and frame $300 or so,

thanks for the feed back,

/ shop door, needs replacement,
yes that is what I was thinking

/ shop door, needs replacement, #8  
I'll bet those PowerLift doors are PRICEY! I also wonder how well they handle operation in wind storms.

/ shop door, needs replacement, #9  
Is this the type of door you meant in the first post? PowerLift Hydraulic Doors Overview - YouTube

Nice door, but I wonder how a 15mph wind would affect when opening or when open.

At a place I worked years ago that had some large very heavy doors. They were all posted
with signs warning NOT to open if the wind speed was over 10 mph. These doors are much
heavier than what you are looking at though, way north of 10 tons and they were hinged
on the side not at the top. If one of them were to get caught by a strong gust, there would
be no stopping it. Still I wonder how these doors with a much lighter frame would hold up.
I guess you just don't open them up in bad WX. It would be easy to add a man door and
windows though.

/ shop door, needs replacement, #10  
You already have all the hardware for an overhead door. Why don't you replace/build new panels using your old hardware?