Removing PLATE or ears on T posts easily

/ Removing PLATE or ears on T posts easily #1  

bcarwell

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 7500DT
Sorry but I couldn't find an answer on the forums. How do you QUICKLY and EASILY remove the flat steel plates from T posts (the ~ 4 inch x 8 inch plates attached to the end of the T post that goes in the ground to give it stability.)
It looks like the nubs on the T post that you attach clips to in order to retain the barbed wire go through slots in the plate and then are pounded and flattened to retain the plate on the T post.
I suppose I could grind off the edge of the nubs so the plate releases, but looks like a P.I.T.A.. But it looks like because the slots in the plate are longer than the nubs that the plates slide a little up and down the T post. I'm wondering if you are supposed to slide the plate to a certain position and then pound it off with a hammer or pry it off with a screwdriver.
Here in central texas we drill with an 1 1/2 inch rock hammer bit and pound the T post in the hole. The plates defeat the purpose of the hole drilling because you end up trying to pound the plate ears through the rock which prevents the T post from going in. And believe me once you get a T post down into that predrilled hole in the limestone it ain't goin' anywhere with or without those plates/ears. Would sure be nice to get those plates off quickly.
Suggestions ?

Bob

/ Removing PLATE or ears on T posts easily #2  
Use to be able to buy posts without the plate on them.
A good sized hammer & a cold chisel will knock the swagged over piece off. Should only have to do 1 side.

/ Removing PLATE or ears on T posts easily #3  
the smart answer is to use them and they will break off when ponding them in.

never intentionally tried to remove them but I would think a chisel and a good support (I am thinking clamp the plate in a vise so you drive the tee post away from the plate) wedge the chisel between the plate and the T post,

and I would think it would just pop off,

as my guess is 50% of my tee posts had lost there plates from driving them in sandy loam earth, for temporary fence use.

but just like any thing else in life if you want it off you can't get it off and if you want it to stay you can keep it on,

if you have many many to do, and it is worth your time to make something,

If you have a log splitter, I would think if one made some fingers that could bolt to the wedge (thinking at least 1/2 think plate, may be heaver 5/8" or 3/4" )and a cup that could clamp on to the Push plate, (cup a short section of pipe to hold the end from slipping on steel) the fingers catch the plate, as they are curved over the wedge, and the cup holds the end of the tee post, and then when the ram is extended it peals off the plate,

I do not know may be some fingers welded on a post pounder or a pipe slide down over the post,

or even a pipe cut at a 60 or so degree angle slide over the post to drive it off, have the pipe longer than the post length to the wedge, and let the wedge hit the plate, if the pipe is short and the top open one may hurt them selfs on the post as the person is driving the pipe down, and it come up out of the top, so make sure it is long enough for safe operation, (my dad about took his jaw off when the top come out of a post pounder he was using).

(ideas progress as i write the posts, )

Attachments

• 1-Tee post Plate remover 001.jpg
    1-Tee post Plate remover 001.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 431
  • 1-Tee post Plate remover 002.jpg
    1-Tee post Plate remover 002.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 398
   / Removing PLATE or ears on T posts easily #4  
another veration of the pipe idea is to make the pipe about the lenght of the top of the plate, and then weld it to a flat plate so it will stand up by it self and not sink into the gorund, and then put the bottom end of the tee post in the pipe and wack it a few times with a sledge, may be easier to handle the post and less work, I guess if you needed more or wanted power, put a loader bucket on the post and have some one lower it,

now I have never tryed any of the above Ideas but do not see why they would not work,

/ Removing PLATE or ears on T posts easily #6  
You didn't mention whether you have 2 or 2000 to do, but one way - if you have a big vise, 2-3 pound hammer, and either a OA torch or a plasma -

Set the vise jaws just slightly larger than the post (but smaller than the plate) - take the torch and scarf the "nubs" a bit so they aren't as likely to object - lay the post in between the vise jaws so the plate rests on the jaws (don't tighten the jaws around the post) - hold the long end of the post with your GLOVED hand and whack the other end of the post CLOSE to the vise jaws - you are trying to drive the post down thru the jaws sideways, hopefully WITHOUT the plate following. :ashamed:

If you get too far away from the plate when you whack it you'll probably bend the post.

With a helper, you could sort of get an assembly line thing going if you have a bunch to do... Steve

/ Removing PLATE or ears on T posts easily #7  
You didn't mention whether you have 2 or 2000 to do...

If I had 2000 to take off, a special order to the nearest factory would be more likely.

Or just put them in upside down. :)

Bruce

/ Removing PLATE or ears on T posts easily #8  
Hold the T post in a good vise with the leg opposite the plate in the vise jaws (t-post is laying horizontally). This will leave the plate laying horizontally, with the "nubs" pointing up. Bend one side of the plate up and across the "nubs" (kinda like you're folding the plate in half) as far over as you can get it. This opens up the back side of the slots in the plate and folds the front of the slot over the edge of the "nubs". Sometimes the plate requires a whack with a 2# hammer, but usually the plates pop right off. A large size channel lock pliers would work- the bigger the better as it requires a good grip. If you have many to do, cut a 1/4" x 3" slot in the end of a piece of 1/2" x 3" flat steel and use it like a wrench.

/ Removing PLATE or ears on T posts easily
Thanks to all for some creative answers. Neglected to mention I have ~ 20-30 to do so stopping to make a jig is not feasible as part of the fence is down and I'll have cattle everywhere if I don't hop to. Opted for the vise/chisel/pop off method- still takes some time but they're coming off. Next time for a bigger section I'll remember to find the ones without the wings or to make the suggested tools. Almost thought pounding in upside down was a clever solution until I quickly realized the plates get in the way of the pounder. Anyway, thanks for all the input.

Bob

/ Removing PLATE or ears on T posts easily #10  
Are you building a fence in rock or another creative project?