Eastwood Powder Coating

/ Eastwood Powder Coating #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
Not sure if this has been mentioned before about powder coating guns for home/shop use, but a couple of years ago I bought this kit from Eastwood to assist in the restoration of my 70 Jeepster Commando.

For under a hundred bucks and a toaster oven, I have been able to powder coat quite a few items. It works great and if you have 220 V in a garage or shop and can find a cheap or free oven, you can do larger items like rims etc.

/ Eastwood Powder Coating #2  
Looks like the reviews posted were pretty positive. Would like to see some of your work and any info you might think is interesting.

/ Eastwood Powder Coating
These are terrible shots....stuff is dusty from sitting in my garage and a few years old. But the process is pretty simple. sand blast and clean the metal. I string the parts and hang them off a SS line (included in the kit) and put a charge to them via the powder coating gun. The gun puff's powder onto the metal and then you carefully hang it into the oven for about 20 minutes. I only have a toaster oven so that makes it a bit challenging, but the end results have always worked well for me. In the case of the latch bracket in the picture - there would be no way for me to dissassemble this and spray paint it. Also on the plate picture - I wanted the screws to be black and it was a cinch to do. I have not had anything chip or crack yet and there are a ton of colors available....I mostly do black. I just installed 220 out in my garage and when I come across a free oven I will grab it. Then I could do valve covers using some of the high heat coatings.

IMAG0581.jpg

IMAG0582.jpg

/ Eastwood Powder Coating #4  
One of the better tools I ever bought! To handle items bigger than would fit in the cheap, second-hand oven I picked up (which basically holds something no larger than a car rim), I built an insulated box, roughly the size of the existing oven interior, that basically sits on the open oven door and fits tightly against the oven opening. That has allowed me to bake larger items without building a completely new larger oven.

Side note: Another good purchase was a media blast cabinet.

/ Eastwood Powder Coating #6  
I have thought about building a powder coat oven more than a few times. Everytime I think about it, I take a look around my shop and ask myself, now just where would I put it if I had it. Then the project gets kicked back down to the bottom of the list of "Wants and Needs"

Now the Toaster oven ideal just might find a corner where it can sit and might even get used to make a piece of toast every now and then.