Electric window motor for snowblower help.

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #1  

Jim Morrell

Born and raised in the great state of Maine
Tractor
Kubota B7610HSD
Hello,

I am going to try and attatch a couple electric window motors from a car to my front end snowblower on my Kubota B7610. The one to turn the chute I think I have figrued out by pinning a s.s. tube over the shaft of the motor and running the other end into the tube where the manual crank goes and bolting that end together. The problem I'm having is comming up with and idea to tilt the deflector up and down. Right now I'm thinking of welding flat bar on each side of a threaded rod, drilling thru it and pinning it to the second motor which will be mounted on the solid part of the chute. The upper part that moves, the deflector I was thinking of having a fixed nut that the threaded rod will pass thru. I'm not sure the deflector will follow the curve it needs to if I mount it like this. Any ideas or pictures of what I could do here would be a big help.

Thanks,

Jim

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #2  
If your chute deflector is spring loaded to stay up, a cord attached to it and a drum on the motor. Run the motor one way and the cord wraps on the drum pulling the shut down. Run the opposite way and the cord unwinds and the spring moves the chute up. You just have to figure out what size drum you need for the motor and how to mount it. Too big and the chute moves too fast.

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #3  
Maybe you could give us a pic or two of what you have to work with. For me, its tough to envision the possibilities not being familiar with your model tractor or snowblower.

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #4  
I mounted a window motor to the deflector before and actually used the metal arm that the motor drives to raise the window and it worked great. If you know what car you got the motor from then that is the best option. On my snow blower I have now I used a linear actuator to position the deflector, it works much better! I bought it on Ebay for about 15 or 20 bucks. Ken. W8N4-SNO!

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help.
No spring, just a couple knobs I have to get off the tractor to loosen before moving the deflector and retightening them back up.
Thats a good idea though if it was spring tensioned. Thanks

I dont have any pics yet but thanks for the reply. Its just a regular chute and the deflector is moved by loosening the bolts then tightening them back up when you find the desired position.

I dont have the arm out of the car and I guess if I cant figure out a way to use the motor I have then the linear actuator might be the solution. Do you have a couple pics you could send me of the set up you have? I'm going to check ebay for one now. Ok just looked on ebay and wow am I now confused, is there a certain type of linear actuator that is best, length, weight rating, speed, etc.... Most seem to be $50 and up if I'm looking at the right ones, hope I can get my little freebie motor to work lol.

Thanks

Jim

Last edited:
   / Electric window motor for snowblower help. #8  
Jim, your idea about the threaded rod and nut sounds good in theory. You would have to mount the nut on a pivot so that the rod would not bind in it as its position changes. (The motor end should also pivot.) The speed would depend on the motor's RPM and threads per inch on the rod and nut. You may need to protect the rod and nut (motor, too) from ice and snow buildup. You are building a linear actuator!

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #9  
I'm not sure if the window motor will have enough power for all instances. I used a cheap 1500 lb winch turn my shute and had problems if the ice got built up around the shute. Make sure to clean it off after you use it if it isn't in a heated garage. Search Google and You Tube and you will come up with many more ideas and suggestions. Window motors are a great little power source and I would like to see a thread started listing some of the things or projects they have been used for.

Al

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #10  
No spring, just a couple knobs I have to get off the tractor to loosen before moving the deflector and retightening them back up.
Thats a good idea though if it was spring tensioned. Thanks

That's the way my walk behind operates. Spring pulls it full up, lever pulls it down to the desired position.

Harry K