Log skidding machine!

/ Log skidding machine! #11  
My father in law made a simple setup that is the basic idea. Just a mount hand made to fit 3 point hitch and about the same length pole to attach the tongs to. He has absolutely skidded and used the daylights out of it on the farm and had no problems or breakage yet. I plan to fiddle around one day and maybe make me a set to. The way you made this one using the bale fork could counter act as a log carrier with 8' logs while still skidding one!

I like yours though!

Kevin.

/ Log skidding machine!
My father in law made a simple setup that is the basic idea. Just a mount hand made to fit 3 point hitch and about the same length pole to attach the tongs to. He has absolutely skidded and used the daylights out of it on the farm and had no problems or breakage yet. I plan to fiddle around one day and maybe make me a set to. The way you made this one using the bale fork could counter act as a log carrier with 8' logs while still skidding one!

I like yours though!

Kevin.

We have been using the tongs to lift the log enough to hook a chain around it. Our tongs aren't the best you could buy. The trees that are larger than 20" across are hard on the tongs , if you are pulling through heavy brush. I welded 1/2 plate spaced to hook chains in. We run the chain through the clevis on the end of the lift arm to the log. Works really well on the larger trees. The forks of the carrier are in the way since we added the lift arm. I may end up making them shorter.

Last edited:
   / Log skidding machine! #13  
Bday I think I'll make one also. Could you tell me about how lone the boom is on your log skidder. I'm going to buy a new tractor that is alot more heavy that the one I've got now so I think I could handle something like that.

/ Log skidding machine!
The tubing is 5' long. I welded a heavy duty nut and threaded part of a top link end into the tubing. Then reinforced it with 1/2" plate. The assembly is adjustable like a regular top link. If you need any pics let me know.

/ Log skidding machine! #15  
Just wondering if those bale forks are intended to prevent backflips or ?? Several years ago friend did that skidding with his 8N and luckily only broke his leg. Another guy a few miles away did the same but wasn't as lucky.

The old fords were noted for being light in the front. We used one for a few years back in the 80's that thing loved comming off the ground. Pulled pretty decent but we had to really watch what we were doing.

/ Log skidding machine! #16  
Bday; I was wondering if those forks might have been a little on the long side, guess you answered that question :)

/ Log skidding machine! #17  
Bday thanks, pictures would be great. Is there a reason for it to be adjustable or did it just work out that way?

/ Log skidding machine!
Bday thanks, pictures would be great. Is there a reason for it to be adjustable or did it just work out that way?
Just thought at some point adjustment may be necessary. If you want the forks to be adjustable as far as tilting up or down, you would need the top link adjustable.

/ Log skidding machine! #19  
Until you get that wide front end on, and even after, just don't be turning or on a sidehill and find a stump with your back tire. Amazing how a little 10" stump on a sidehill can really give you a pucker or worse. :shocked:

/ Log skidding machine!
Until you get that wide front end on, and even after, just don't be turning or on a sidehill and find a stump with your back tire. Amazing how a little 10" stump on a sidehill can really give you a pucker or worse. :shocked:

Luckily it's all flat land!:thumbsup: