Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member

Oh and ours was also required on every outlet. Dad went back and forth with the inspector about that and a few other issues that dad said was inaccurate as far as some national code he was required to follow. There reply was their way or they wouldn't sign off on it.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1974 MF135

Default Re: Shop electrical wiring....

I get that same feeling from this inspector..... so i have decided to cadweld. I found some one shot cadwleds and will be using them. I plan to run from my #4 copper wire to the first ground rod, from there to the second ground rod, and then to the service neutral.

I am now guessing that the service neutral he is speaking of is in the actual meter can? and not in the outside breaker panel. Or do i have that wrong as well?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
    We went back and forth on the gfic outlets. My dad is an industrial electrician and did all my wiring. In the end we connected gfic outlets for the inspection then removed them after it was done. There were issues with my gfic's tripping every time we turned the fluorescents on or tried to use certain tools it would trip.
    Doesn't that indicate a problem with the wiring? If a GFCI is tripping, something is passing current to ground that shouldn't be, right?

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfyoozed View Post
    I get that same feeling from this inspector..... so i have decided to cadweld. I found some one shot cadwleds and will be using them. I plan to run from my #4 copper wire to the first ground rod, from there to the second ground rod, and then to the service neutral.

I am now guessing that the service neutral he is speaking of is in the actual meter can? and not in the outside breaker panel. Or do i have that wrong as well?
    Is this going to be a main panel with it's own meter or a sub panel fed from a main panel? The grounding is different. The GFI is the same. Individual plug in service boxes grounding is the same.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1974 MF135

My shop will have its own meter. So im speaking of the meter and remote service panel that is next to the meter.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Case 1210, Mitsubishi D2050

You are correct, that the ground from the rods and breaker panel are connected in the meter box. The ground has to be run from the meter service entrance box uninterrupted to the grounding rods.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1974 MF135

-image-jpg
    -image-jpg
    -image-jpg

looking at these diagrams...which is the correct way to attach the ufer? I assume it does matter

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1974 MF135

And while im thinking of it........ how come its code to attach a #4 copper wire to rebar over a 3 foot span with split bolts, but its against code to splice the copper wire with anything that is reversible? The codes says only splices that are irreversible and UL listed for grounding and bonding can be used. I have yet to see anything that a BFH, sawzall, or torch couldnt reverse. **** a pair of cutting pliers can easily "reverse" and splice thats to code on #4 copper wire. The insensibleness of this is what really gets me......

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfyoozed View Post
    And while im thinking of it........ how come its code to attach a #4 copper wire to rebar over a 3 foot span with split bolts, but its against code to splice the copper wire with anything that is reversible? The codes says only splices that are irreversible and UL listed for grounding and bonding can be used. I have yet to see anything that a BFH, sawzall, or torch couldnt reverse. **** a pair of cutting pliers can easily "reverse" and splice thats to code on #4 copper wire. The insensibleness of this is what really gets me......
    who says codes have to make sense. anyways, if a split bolt or uffer ground bolt is used, it HAS to remain accessible for its lifetime. were required to leave an open-able access cover. A cadweld or compression connection does NOT have to remain visible.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1974 MF135

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    who says codes have to make sense. anyways, if a split bolt or uffer ground bolt is used, it HAS to remain accessible for its lifetime. were required to leave an open-able access cover. A cadweld or compression connection does NOT have to remain visible.
    hahaha well these are encased now....so ill keep quiet about that one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast