Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100, M6800

Default Any stone ( rock) boxes out there?

Has anyone built a stone box, sometimes called a rock box? Now I don't mean the big box for a counterweight on the 3-pt hitch, I mean a smaller box that bolts to either the front of the tractor or to the side to pick up the occasional rock from field work such as harrowing. Most boxes are small, maybe 16" wide by 18" to 24" long, are shallow and only meant to hold maybe 25 lbs of rock. You dump them at the end of the row.

Problem is I have weights on the front of the tractor, so I don't think I can bolt there and these smaller tractors don't offer a lot of other locations. Anyone else with any ideas or built one? I put them on my foot platform now and that's a bad idea. I'd like to make one for a kubota MX5100 or similar.

Here are a couple of internet examples. Any help appreciated.

Any stone ( rock)  boxes out there?-rock-box-jpg
    Any stone ( rock)  boxes out there?-rock-box2-jpg
    Any stone ( rock)  boxes out there?-rock-box3-jpg

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Platinum Member

Default Re: Any stone ( rock) boxes out there?

I'd like to see how the latch system forks on that CaseIH Magnum (bottom photo). I've seen those rock boxes for years, but I've never seen a good pic that shows how the latch works.
    IHC 424 Diesel
    Ford 917 Flail Mower

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100, M6800

Quote Originally Posted by dieselscout80 View Post
    I'd like to see how the latch system forks on that CaseIH Magnum (bottom photo). I've seen those rock boxes for years, but I've never seen a good pic that shows how the latch works.
    Here you go....they are commercially made and bring your wallet.

Weight Boxes and Brackets

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 4020

I built one this last spring, I took off my weights, really did not need them on the front IMO,
    I took 4 inch channel iron, and bolted on the side, and then extend it up about 20 inches in front of the tractor, welded two more sections of channel to form a front and back of the box on the front, there were two bolt holes one could fasten on the front and I used them as well, on the bottom I made a hinges plate with a latch that would (similar to a lot of swinging gates on stock trailers, so if there is a lot of weight there is little resistance on the latch, any way it will dump out the bottom, so one does not have to unload it,
    the box is about 20 inches square, and 4" deep,

I run up to the rock pile and get out and trip open the bottom and back off and empty the box, and lift up the bottom and latch it, and off I go, do not have any pictures of it that I know of, may be able to get one over the week end here,

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 5105, IH-Case 255, JD 3038E

Have a rock box on one of the disks or I just use the carry-all to pick up rocks. The disk box is just an old metal box bolted in the center area of the disk. Can use it for rocks or for adding a few concrete blocks if extra weight is needed. It is under snow right now, so not easy to get a good photo.