Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper

/ Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper #11  
Another vote for sketchup. Free download Trimble SketchUp

I don't use it, but I've seen tons of stuff done with it on the different construction forums I frequent. Like anything else, expect to spend some time learning it, but it sure does some neat stuff...and you can't beat the price. :D

/ Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper #12  

Don't let it scare ya. :laughing:

/ Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper #13  
If I said that I mostly just plan things out in my head, then start cutting, would you laugh?

/ Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper #14  
joshuabardwell said:
If I said that I mostly just plan things out in my head, then start cutting, would you laugh?

Nope. I've built a few things with out any drawings. Usually just a material list off the top of my head and a trip to town.

/ Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper #15  
I use AutoCAD, Inventor, HandCAD (paper & pencil), Paint Shop Pro, and just good old seat of the pants winging it depending on the project, it's complexity, and how lazy I feel that day.

/ Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper #16  
Nope. I've built a few things with out any drawings. Usually just a material list off the top of my head and a trip to town.

The problem I have is that the few times I have tried to really plan something out, halfway through I think of an improvement and change things around anyway. It might be a different story if I was building more complex things.

/ Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper #17  
another vote on Sketchup

/ Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper #18  
I also downloaded it,, playing with it,, I can see I will need a lot of coaching,, lol..Lou

/ Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper #19  
Hand sketch, then depending on what it is I will make a cardboard or construction paper template to see if it "works".

/ Ways of sketching out new ideas, CAD, Paint, Pencil / Paper #20  
I have a tablet of graph paper that works well. Also one of those large graph paper desk sized tablets.
Just found this, haven't tried it yet: Print Free Graph Paper
I down loaded the free draftsight, Looks like I might be too dumb to learn it though.