Old forklift forks for tractor bucket?

/ Old forklift forks for tractor bucket? #1  

2458n

Veteran Member
I have a tractor with a well built bucket. Tommorrw at auction I can aquire a set of 60'' inch forks. Any thoughts on making something to move pallets or logs around? The forks are take-offs from a forklift. I was thinking about a shaft run thru a couple of plates on the bucket ends. Tubing would be welded to the top of each fork. With the width of the bucket a center support would probably be needed. Thank you for any thoughts or Improved way of doing this.

/ Old forklift forks for tractor bucket? #2  
I've seen "Redneck QA" forks on jobsites over the years. The version I'm referring to is made with forks that have very heavy tube welded to the tops so they can slide over a heavy round shaft for width adjustment. The buckets they are used on have large hooks cut from plate steel so the operator can drive up to the forks, uncurl the bucket, raise the bucket to grab the shaft and then curl as needed to level the forks. Some operators are very adept with them and others have trouble backing out of loads because of the hinged-at-top fork connection. Real forklifts won't allow the forks to swing and get bound under the load.

EDIT TO ADD: Here's something like I'm talking about

Bucket forks for your loaders and backhoes from CTI

/ Old forklift forks for tractor bucket? #3  
If you get those forks, try and obtain a frame for the forks from a fork lift place and adapt it to your lift arms.

Here is what I did. This pic is showing a forklift frame with one fork as I was using it for towing.

You can make that frame using 1/2 in steel and cut notches in the top rail.

Attachments

• tow adapteer.jpg
    tow adapteer.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 900
   / Old forklift forks for tractor bucket? #4  
Rather than adapt the FEL bucket to fit, why not just buy a QA plate (assuming you have a QA bucket). I got this from Everything attachments for I think $149 and then welded on a round bale attachment to get rid of the one that slides on the bucket. Works much better now and easy to put on and take off. You could buy the plate and then weld on the brackets to more the forks. If you dont get the forks with the sliding locking slotted attachment bar, you could just redneck it with pipe sleeves on top of the forks. 2" Schedule 80 pipe welded to top of the forks will just perfectly slide over 1 1/2" schedule 80 or 160 pipe. Just slide the fork with 2" pipe over the 1.5" weld bracket on each end and one in the middle should hold as much as any CUT will lift.

/ Old forklift forks for tractor bucket? #5  
keep in mind that forklift tines are not easy to drill, and cutting/welding should be done carefully as it will affect the strength/temper of the steel. Probably not an issue if mounting on a cut, as the lift capacity would not be anywhere near what the tines were designed for, but good to keep in mind.

/ Old forklift forks for tractor bucket?
The field boss bucket is not skid steer equipped. Yes it will be. The forks are take offs from a local factory that replaces just the forks to allow for wear. A nearby factory has been running the same forks since 1964 when the towmotors were bought new. The forks were 42 and 52 inches long. At 150.00 the bidder took both sets home. The back uprights were not tall enough to reach out of the bucket and use the "redneck quick attach" as suggested. I too have seen and used these on job sites in the past. A pair of 60 inch will show up sooner or later and will better match my needs. Thanks for the imput.

/ Old forklift forks for tractor bucket? #7  
I had a spare set of forks that came with my old POS Clark Forklift so I made a frame for the quick disconnect on my 3510 Branson and adapted the forks.
It works great, pull the lever, drop the bucket, PU the fork system, move lever to lock.

/ Old forklift forks for tractor bucket? #8  
I had a spare set of forks that came with my old POS Clark Forklift so I made a frame for the quick disconnect on my 3510 Branson and adapted the forks.
It works great, pull the lever, drop the bucket, PU the fork system, move lever to lock.
That is what I was suggesting and Everything attachments has a plate that you can buy that is already fabbed from 1/4" plate and just ready to set on your QA FEL. Then all you have to do is fab the brackets to attach the forks. Just buy a new QA plate for less that $150 and attach the forks to it. Drop the bucket and hook it up directly to the FEL arms just like the bucket is attached. If you dont have a QA FEL then it would be more work but could still be done fairly cheap.

/ Old forklift forks for tractor bucket? #9  
one problem with bucket is you have the forks out that much farther from the tractor, and you lift or stability may be a problem, with a load,

I made a mounting frame for my forks and drop the bucket and put the forks on, or vise versa,

/ Old forklift forks for tractor bucket? #10  
I took a pic of my forks and adapter. It just replaces my bucket by moving a lever that moves two pins.

Attachments

• Shop 003.jpg
    Shop 003.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 1,026