Alternate garage wall materials.

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #31  
I used 1/2 inch plywood and painted it.I am happy with it.I only have heat in the garage when I am there and there seems to be no problems.

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #32  
Living here in Northwest PA and having a lot of Amish saw mills around I used rough cut hemlock and rabbited the edges so the overlap each other. wasn't cheap but I can hang anything anywhere I want and I don't have to worry about banging into it and going through!!!! My garage is poll construction two story Gambrel roof and is insulated and heated with natural gas to about 50 when I'm not out there but warmed up to 60 when I am!

Last edited:
   / Alternate garage wall materials. #33  
I used half-inch OSB inside my shop - over insulation. I disclose that the shop - a 14 by 35 pre-built garage - was acquired to store my furniture while I built my new house. Insulated and lined with a tight-fitting OSB, it kept at 40 through a winter with a single small, thermostatically controlled electric heater. Now its a great place to work all winter. The OSB is easy to hang things on and durable.

I took scraps from the job and built a Christmas display for our church. Painted, it set out in 7 winters in all weather and never started to soften or delaminate. That stuff is tougher than advertised.

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #34  
With 12' walls I put OSB on the bottom 8' and drywall on the upper 4' and ceiling to help reflect light into my work area. It works for me, the girts are 2' on center if I need to hang something heavy otherwise I just screww into the OSB. I have 2" blanket type isulation in the walls and I blew in insulation in the attic to help hold in the heat in the winter. The thermostat is set at 40 degrees when I am not in it and I heat it up to about 55 when I am working. It runs me about $40.00 mo.

P6130098.JPG

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #35  
Joeyd, I like that idea! I think I'll do similar. My shop is in a lean to on the barn. I have 12' walls on one side and 8' on the other, 40' long. I've been trying to decide between drywall and OSB. So drywall on the ceiling and on the top 4 ' on the tall wall, and in the triangle peak areas.

With 12' walls I put OSB on the bottom 8' and drywall on the upper 4' and ceiling to help reflect light into my work area. It works for me, the girts are 2' on center if I need to hang something heavy otherwise I just screww into the OSB. I have 2" blanket type isulation in the walls and I blew in insulation in the attic to help hold in the heat in the winter. The thermostat is set at 40 degrees when I am not in it and I heat it up to about 55 when I am working. It runs me about $40.00 mo.

View attachment 299037

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #36  
I used 7/16 OSB and screwed it all up walls and ceiling, insulated the walls and ceiling also can heat it in the winter very quickly. Inspection baaaaa just keep teh door closed while you are doing it!

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #37  
I finished my entire garage in slatwall. Found the sheets being sold cheap from an out of business retail store and the slats even had the aluminum inserts for added strength. This stuff is very functional, durable, and looks good to boot. My cost was less than drywall and is much stronger. I'd look around on craigslist or other used sites and something would likely turn up.