Make hyd hose "shield" yourself

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #12  
I have bought some of the spiral sleeving like that for my hydraulic hoses. Now I will have to give your technique a try and build one of those jigs.

On the ends of the spiral sleeving after it is wound around the hydraulic hose I use a tie wrap to secure it from coming unwrapped.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #13  
I'm trying to figure out if your jig is made on an angle or is it just the pics? I'm also trying to figure out how to make it motorized!

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #14  
That is a great tool. How do you turn it or how do you turn the PEX tubing? It looks like the cutter could be mounted in a lathe and let the lathe turn. I would want someone with a hand on the switch ready to turn it off if necessary.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself
A lathe (slow, metal) is an excelent idea, I was thinking of an electric pipe threader. I stick it a vice and turn the tubing and it feeds in at a consistant rate, no reason it would not work by spinning the cutter.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #16  
This is a great concept but the original configuration is about as far as I would take it. How much of this do you need anyway? The angle appears to be obtained by the blade being offset from the grinder wheel when it was ground down.

It really only takes a few minutes to make 8' or so, I only use it in chaffing or wear locations.
I'd be happy to try to give some more pics or a measurement or 2 if someone wants to copy it. Pretty simple, it worked on the first shot at it and if a guy had a vertical mill, he could make something that looked much better:laughing:

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #18  
Rusty, everyone that looks in BIY wants to copy it. More pics are always welcome. After that you will shortly see a PTO powered version.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #19  
Id lover to see more pics maybe even a utube of it in action.:thumbsup:
It really only takes a few minutes to make 8' or so, I only use it in chaffing or wear locations.
I'd be happy to try to give some more pics or a measurement or 2 if someone wants to copy it. Pretty simple, it worked on the first shot at it and if a guy had a vertical mill, he could make something that looked much better:laughing:

Sorry, I kept forgetting to take some better pics during the day (light). It is as simple as it looks, I'm just going to make a list of things to keep it simple.
1 The angle is 20* to make the cut in the pipe for the washers (mounting surface) this angle controls the width of the spirals. On 1" well pipe, the spirals are about 1 1/4" wide. With the small 1/2", it's more like 5/16.
2 Those round things are just big washers, about 3" across (you'll need to "egg" them out to accomodate the angle)
3 That "cutter" is a small chunk of a wide sawzall blade, the cutting "hook" is just cut with a small grinder with a cut off wheel.
4 I welded some pretty heavy lumber banding to the lower washer to act as a spacer (equal to the cutter thickness) as well as a guide to keep the cutter from wanting to rotate when cutting. The banding is just the first thing that I found in the shop that was close in thickness to the cutter.
5 The thumbscrew is to hold a smaller pipe inplace when cutting smaller tubing. This keeps it down & against the cutter, when cutting the (blue) 1" water pipe, it works just fine in the 11/2 main black pipe.

It feeds it's self through, I just use a pipe wrench on the "in" side of the tubing, with the fixture in a vice. Can't think of much else to tell you, I just "cobbed" this together and it was done. If you had some milling equipment you could make a nice recess for the blade, and instead of those "egged" out washers, a nice milled oblong hole. I used the sawzall blade figuring that it was pretty hard and should hold an edge.