Make hyd hose "shield" yourself

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #21  
Thanks, Rustyiron. Your great idea will be used by many.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #23  
Rustyiron, without your post I would have never done this and I don't want to take anything away from you.

I had an application for some of your "Hydraulic hose shield" and this is what I came up with:

DSCF0020.jpg DSCF0021.jpg DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg DSCF0024.jpg DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg DSCF0029.jpg DSCF0030.jpg

This tool is very easy to make and use. It requires only a small amount of basic tools to make it. I bought a 5 foot piece of .5 PEX and a PVC el big enough for the PEX to fit inside. I cut a slot in the side of the el for the blade with a hack saw. My first attempt was a slot cut at about 40 degrees. I used a small blade for a box knife, but it broke where the blade is scored to snap off when the end section gets dull. Also it cut the PEX 1 inch wide, which was wider than I wanted. On my second attempt, I cut another slot at 20 degrees and used a small piece of .040 stainless (.25" x 1.25" ) and sharpened one side. This tool cuts a 1/2 inch ribbon.

I glued 3 small pieces of PVC inside to hold the PEX against the blade.

The PEX tubing I used is labeled ".5 PEX" but measures .485 ID and .625 OD. I bought a 5 foot piece because I didn't know if it would work or not. They sell longer pieces.

The 1/2 PVC tee is schedule 40, not the thinner 200 psi. It measures .840 ID. Lowes bar code number is 25528 14522.

You will need a hacksaw, a hose clamp to hold the blade in place, a nut driver or screwdriver to tighten hose clamp. My total cost was less than $5.00.

I used a tee so I could hold it in the vice, but it is so easy to turn, you can hold the tee in one hand and turn the PEX pipe with the other. On my next one, I will buy a 4 way connection instead of a tee so I can make it with 2 different blades and cutting angles.

I was amazed as to how easy it was to cut the PEX. There was a slight varientation in width of cuts, but I think that was due to my pressure of feeding the PEX into the cutter. I was going to turn it with a Vice Grip pliers, but it was not necessary. Have fun.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #24  
graydog, I see that you have a pvc shim in the tee. What did you make it out of and how is it held in place? Thanks

OK, I just reread your post saying you glued them in.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #26  
I had an idea using a standard floor flange at the end of a standard threaded pipe, then fastening the blade at an angle via one or two of the bolt holes. But I haven't had a need yet.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #27  
Rustyiron, I saw your latest snow plow build thread and noticed your hose shields. That prompted me to find this thread again and I thought it would be good to bump it.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #28  
I wonder about the UV stability of the white PEX? Would a dark colored PEX be better for longevity exposed to the sun?