Make hyd hose "shield" yourself

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
In going thru my pics for another post, I saw the tubing "slicer" I made to slice regular plastic tubing (well pipe, pex tubing ect.) into that curly hose "protector". They charge a fortune for that stuff! I just took a short legnth of (about) 1 1/2 black pipe, guessed an angle to cut it on, and made up a little rig to hold a short pc. of a heavy sawzall blade. I figgured that it was pretty hard, and made a little "hook" type cut in the side of it with a little cut off wheel. It really works well! The pictures are not much, and if you would like a better pic or description, I'd be happy to help.

Attachments

• slitter 014.jpg
    slitter 014.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 1,247
  • slitter 003.jpg
    slitter 003.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 1,773
  • slitter 004.jpg
    slitter 004.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 1,052
  • slitter 005.jpg
    slitter 005.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 1,168
  • slitter 007.jpg
    slitter 007.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 1,279
  • slitter 008.jpg
    slitter 008.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 1,146
  • slitter 009.jpg
    slitter 009.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 1,212
  • slitter 011.jpg
    slitter 011.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 1,209
  • slitter 013.jpg
    slitter 013.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 1,382
   / Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #2  
Neat idea.
I could use one of those myself

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #3  
That is the most unique idea I've seen in a while. How do you establish the pitch of the helix? Looks quite uniform.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #4  
That's a great idea. Is the thumb bolt used to help guide your pipe as you're turning?

How do you turn it? By hand?

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself
The angle of the blade makes the even spacing. The pipe is 1 1/2" and works well on std. 1" plastic well pipe. For smaller dia. tubing, I stick a pc. of EMT, steel or pvc inside the (bigger) pipe and hold it down with the thumbscrew (towards the knife) against the cutter. At about $5/ft. to buy the stuff, this works well. I hold it in the vice and twist the pipe to be slit with a pipe wrench.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #6  
The angle of the blade makes the even spacing. The pipe is 1 1/2" and works well on std. 1" plastic well pipe. For smaller dia. tubing, I stick a pc. of EMT, steel or pvc inside the (bigger) pipe and hold it down with the thumbscrew (towards the knife) against the cutter. At about $5/ft. to buy the stuff, this works well. I hold it in the vice and twist the pipe to be slit with a pipe wrench.

Thanks for the info. There's a few hoses on my old backhoe that need a little more protection since the backhoe is used mostly in the woods on the farm. Every little bit of protection helps.

If I could just find out where to buy me a "Round-To-It" I'll get right to building me one.:)

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #7  
Great idea.
Looks primitive; works great.
What's not to like?

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #8  
Nice work. Wish I had the tools available to build this kinda stuff.

/ Make hyd hose "shield" yourself #10  
You should have started up a company and made a mint selling to Home Depot with that idea. Minimal capital investment.