Not your average DIY...

/ Not your average DIY... #1  

Attono

Silver Member

Couldn't have done this without the tractor. Dug the holes with the 3ph auger and then getting the poles (one was 25' and one was 21') into the holes would have been impossible without the FEL and boom pole. Even had to use the grab hooks to tension the line.

Taking the check ride was a little nerve wracking... Of course I took the first ride, not my daughter.

/ Not your average DIY... #2  
That's pretty cool..!! Not many people I know of, have their own personal zip line..!!

/ Not your average DIY... #4  
Ha! Nice. You're smarter than my neighbor. He made one for a grandchild of his, but ended the line right into a doug fir tree :eek:. He tried to get the kid to ride it but luckily his dad noticed the error. When I came walking to their place they are "discussing" it.
they finally gave up on the project.

/ Not your average DIY... #6  
That's impressive!

I have been thinking about the same thing. How long is yours and what size cable did you use, if I may ask? Based on the pole length you must have about a 4' drop

/ Not your average DIY... #7  
Ha! Nice. You're smarter than my neighbor. He made one for a grandchild of his, but ended the line right into a doug fir tree :eek:. He tried to get the kid to ride it but luckily his dad noticed the error. When I came walking to their place they are "discussing" it.
they finally gave up on the project.
Lol, my friend and i made one the started with a tree and ended at a power pole. I tried it out and jumped off before the power pole, one would have thought with that example, my friend would have jumped clear before hitting the power pole.:laughing:

/ Not your average DIY... #8  
Saw one at a Boy Scout camp that came off the top of the mountain and ended in a lake. Had to be a half mile run.

/ Not your average DIY...
That's impressive!

I have been thinking about the same thing. How long is yours and what size cable did you use, if I may ask? Based on the pole length you must have about a 4' drop

It's a 150' line of 5/16 cable. The math they use is a 6% drop from attachment points on the poles and then you have to figure an 8% drop for the catenary. So for mine, I have the attachment point for the start at 21' and the end at 12'. That leaves my daughters feet just a few feet above the ground at the end part of the ride. There is also a bungee brake which is a sliding block at the far end of the ride that the trolley will hit and pull a bungee which is attached to another pole about 20 feet or so from the end pole. Hard part was figuring line tension. I wound up pulling it hard enough to get a 10' catenary with no load on it and it is working well. I got the kit from ziplinegear dot com and the guy wire anchors and wire for the guys at TSC.