Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Default Re: Steel Suppliers Drops or lack thereof

Now that makes sense. Control the certs on everything, whether or not it will ever be needed.
    dstig makes a good point, too.

They probably don't want the hassle of dealing with small customers more than anything, and this is the excuse.
    This gets them out of the liability issues of having any chowderhead come into their shop, stumbling drunk, to shuffle through their sharp edged drops.

It's too bad, really. Yet another source of economic steel, cut off.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Our largest local shop has worked a deal with the community college. College gets most drops to practice welding on but must return to the shop when done. Pretty good deal for the shop as multiple passes with stick/mig makes the drops that much heavier for recycling!

Not a good deal for the general public as most drops are spoken for.
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Tractor
    JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Grand View Post
    Now that makes sense. Control the certs on everything, whether or not it will ever be needed.
    dstig makes a good point, too.

This gets them out of the liability issues of having any chowderhead come into their shop, stumbling drunk, to shuffle through their sharp edged drops.

It's too bad, really. Yet another source of economic steel, cut off.
    yes, we had a great place here for over 20 years, they went 'big' and became an industrial supply house. They have a huge inventory now and most everything is new. I used to enjoy rummaging through the back rooms full of tools and parts they bought at auction when local fab shops closed, surplus material from the navy yard, etc. I used to get aluminum drops at $2/lb in various shapes like 4" channel, all sizes of angle, plate, etc.

Tractor
    M 9540 Kubota

I just went through what you described (when buing steel). I had been going to a guy that had a whole yard of steel.....out in the weather and most, heavily rusted. I had finally had enough and called a "big" steel supplier, spoke to a salesman and did not lie about my future needs. (small time purchases). I did let him know that I was familiar with steel and it's various shapes & thickness and that for furure "jobs" rather than getting a bunch of prices for a bunch of different shapes, to give me a price per pound for the various shapes. (angles, flats, sq tube etc.) You can download the wt/ft of all the diff. std shapes on line. Most shapes were .62-.63 per lb. and plate was about .54 (if I remember right) a 4x8x1/4 was $170.
    This helped me out as before, I never knew what mood the rusty steel guy felt like charging. I do need to get full legnths but this is what I did anyway, I'll allways find a use for it. Oh, and no more cleaning old rusty chit!
    ]We need more people to WORK for a living and less people to VOTE for a living!
    (proven on 11/6/12)

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

I've been dealing with Pacific Welding in Bremerton for 30-years. I find them to be very high on steel prices. They are convenient for small items, and no bridge toll! But anything big I venture over the bridge to Northwest Steel & Pipe. I use to deal with Tacoma Steel but since they moved deeper into town I just use Northwest.

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

2 Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200.
    Everlast PowerArc 300.
    3 Lincoln SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.