Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ?

/ Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ? #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
I'm not really interested in buying a ballast box if I can avoid it BUT I'm not a welder, and not having done anything like this I was wondering if there was anyone in Central Virginia that could either put one together for me or hold my hand as I do it. I'd certainly compensate you for your time, and it might be nice to meet someone who knows a lot more about tractoring than I could ever hope to. If you might be able to help please contact me. It's a Kubota BX2360 Cat 1 3 point; I'm in Charlottesville.

/ Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ? #2  
tractor005.jpgHere's a picture of the ballast I built from a plastic barrel filled w/concrete. I used a flat drawbar welded to a piece of square stock. The weight is around 450-500 lbs. Being as to how it's a plastic barrel I can take it off my tractor a slide it around on a concrete floor and push it in the corner when I'm not using it. Since that picture was taken I've been using a chain for a top link so should I drag the ballast box on the ground it will move a little bit instead of bending something. I also installed a 4" piece of PCV tube in the concrete to be able to carry an axe or sledge with the concrete several inches from the top of the barrel to carry a chain and some wedges. I also have a BX 2230.

Last edited:
   / Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ? #3  
I made one like mehig has. I took a small plastic barrel, put 1 bolt thru the bottom that goes onto my cross drawbar(with a nut on the bottom), filled it with rocks, put a long turnbuckle near the top(for the tractor toplink to hook to), then dumped 2 bags of concrete on top, shook it to get it to drop down in some, then added water. I reinstalled the lid and it works great.

:thumbsup:

Pictures of mine. In the bottom, there is an old steel plate I had lying around that had a hole in it, I just put a long bolt thru it and out the bottom of the barrel. This barrel is 24 inches high, to the top of the lid, and is 15 inches wide in the middle.

Attachments

• ballast1.jpg
    ballast1.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 177
  • ballast2.jpg
    ballast2.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 211
  • ballast3.jpg
    ballast3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
   / Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ? #4  
Why not pick up a tph carryall, for example, CountyLineョ Carry All, Category 1 Quick Hitch Compatible - 2128210 | Tractor Supply Company now add an old pallet and strap down some "stuff" of your choice on the pallet ...for example, the sacks of concrete mix you would have used for the previous suggestions ...or maybe the patio pavers you were planning to use, or some cinder block, etc....now you have a useful implement as well as ballast, drop that pallet and pick up another..only drawback is added length as compared with the pour-your-own-concrete

/ Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ?
I'm interested in a compact as possible solution so I can use my trailer. Not sure about the carryall but I will take a look.

/ Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ? #6  
Maybe this would help give you some ideas.. My ballast barrel with a 2 inch receiver hitch on the back, I use it for my sprayer, but you could slide a hitch ball in it also.. I have one, but I don't have a trailer:) I store chain and other things in the top and has 3 pieces of PVC for handle tools. The crossbar was from Tractor supply, a CAT1 drawbar, About $26.00 The barrel was $9.00 and the rest was mostly junk around the place.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/199329-look-what-i-built-today.html

here is one someone else built, that is pretty slick.. You could easily put a 2 inch receiver on it also.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/214393-ballast-box-w-storage.html

James K0UA

/ Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ? #7  
Seems we have the double post blues again

/ Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ? #8  
You could buy a drawbar like this one. It is a Cat 0 spacing with cat 1 pins so it would be compact like you want. Then you could bolt on a drawbar stabilizer. Build your self a form out of plywood and 2x4's to your specifications. Put the drawbar and stabilizer in it, maybe some rebar and add concrete. If you do go this route be sure it will not interfere with the 3PH lift arms. To save money you could get the busted bags of concrete at Lowes.

Here is a calculator to help you figure out how big to make it.

/ Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ? #9  
Mine was real simple.....took and old tub from a washing machine.....ran a pipe through it....filled it with river rock....attached to my 3 pt. Works great.....easy to remove......drains well. Not sure how much it weighs....I'm thinking in the 400 to 450 lb range. Came up with this solution a few years back when moving gravel. Kept lifting the back wheels off the ground with a loader full of rock....not a great idea. The ballast solved this problem.