Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ?

I'm not really interested in buying a ballast box if I can avoid it BUT I'm not a welder, and not having done anything like this I was wondering if there was anyone in Central Virginia that could either put one together for me or hold my hand as I do it. I'd certainly compensate you for your time, and it might be nice to meet someone who knows a lot more about tractoring than I could ever hope to. If you might be able to help please contact me. It's a kubota BX2360 Cat 1 3 point; I'm in Charlottesville.
    2010 BX2360
    54" MMM, 5' TW rear blade
    5' TW rake
    4' Frontier Box Blade

Male Red Fox Labrador Retriever
    1963 McIntosh Tube Amp w/1959 Citation I Preamp
    Bozak B302A Speakers

Tractor
    challenger mt265b

Default Re: Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ?

-tractor005-jpgHere's a picture of the ballast I built from a plastic barrel filled w/concrete. I used a flat drawbar welded to a piece of square stock. The weight is around 450-500 lbs. Being as to how it's a plastic barrel I can take it off my tractor a slide it around on a concrete floor and push it in the corner when I'm not using it. Since that picture was taken I've been using a chain for a top link so should I drag the ballast box on the ground it will move a little bit instead of bending something. I also installed a 4" piece of PCV tube in the concrete to be able to carry an axe or sledge with the concrete several inches from the top of the barrel to carry a chain and some wedges. I also have a BX 2230.
    Last edited by mehig; 01-30-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Anyone in Central Virginia able to help/build a ballast box for a Kubota BX ?

I made one like mehig has. I took a small plastic barrel, put 1 bolt thru the bottom that goes onto my cross drawbar(with a nut on the bottom), filled it with rocks, put a long turnbuckle near the top(for the tractor toplink to hook to), then dumped 2 bags of concrete on top, shook it to get it to drop down in some, then added water. I reinstalled the lid and it works great.

Pictures of mine. In the bottom, there is an old steel plate I had lying around that had a hole in it, I just put a long bolt thru it and out the bottom of the barrel. This barrel is 24 inches high, to the top of the lid, and is 15 inches wide in the middle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ballast2-jpg   -ballast1-jpg   -ballast3-jpg  
    Last edited by Don87; 01-30-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4330, 6 rear remotes

Why not pick up a tph carryall, for example, CountyLineļ½® Carry All, Category 1 quick hitch Compatible - 2128210 | Tractor Supply Company now add an old pallet and strap down some "stuff" of your choice on the pallet ...for example, the sacks of concrete mix you would have used for the previous suggestions ...or maybe the patio pavers you were planning to use, or some cinder block, etc....now you have a useful implement as well as ballast, drop that pallet and pick up another..only drawback is added length as compared with the pour-your-own-concrete

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

I'm interested in a compact as possible solution so I can use my trailer. Not sure about the carryall but I will take a look.
    2010 BX2360
    54" MMM, 5' TW rear blade
    5' TW rake
    4' Frontier Box Blade

Male Red Fox Labrador Retriever
    1963 McIntosh Tube Amp w/1959 Citation I Preamp
    Bozak B302A Speakers

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Maybe this would help give you some ideas.. My ballast barrel with a 2 inch receiver hitch on the back, I use it for my sprayer, but you could slide a hitch ball in it also.. I have one, but I don't have a trailer I store chain and other things in the top and has 3 pieces of PVC for handle tools. The crossbar was from Tractor supply, a CAT1 drawbar, About $26.00 The barrel was $9.00 and the rest was mostly junk around the place.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...ilt-today.html

here is one someone else built, that is pretty slick.. You could easily put a 2 inch receiver on it also.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...w-storage.html

James K0UA
    James KŲUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Seems we have the double post blues again
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

You could buy a drawbar like this one. It is a Cat 0 spacing with cat 1 pins so it would be compact like you want. Then you could bolt on a drawbar stabilizer. Build your self a form out of plywood and 2x4's to your specifications. Put the drawbar and stabilizer in it, maybe some rebar and add concrete. If you do go this route be sure it will not interfere with the 3PH lift arms. To save money you could get the busted bags of concrete at Lowes.

Here is a calculator to help you figure out how big to make it.

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

Mine was real simple.....took and old tub from a washing machine.....ran a pipe through it....filled it with river rock....attached to my 3 pt. Works great.....easy to remove......drains well. Not sure how much it weighs....I'm thinking in the 400 to 450 lb range. Came up with this solution a few years back when moving gravel. Kept lifting the back wheels off the ground with a loader full of rock....not a great idea. The ballast solved this problem.
    I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good!

I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it wouldn't make any difference.