Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member

Default Re: Dumping offroad military trailer

A trailer jack would work too and if you got a two speed box from a semi trailer jack setup it would move fairly fast too.

ps great project!
    IHC 424 Diesel
    Ford 917 Flail Mower

Tractor
    2002 New Holland TC35D with cab, a 2007 New Holland Skid Steer and a 1970's 154 Cub Lo-Boy

Hello,
    Looks like you did a great job on the build, but wow, what a lot of work for such a little squirt of a trailer !!!!! Please don't take offense, but you sure can't haul much at a time with that trailer !!!!! Great job though !!!!!!

MFWD

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

great job, super stout...you'll find many uses for it. And, it'll never be overloaded.

MFWD, he doesn't have a tractor so it gets filled by the shovel full...I think it's just the right size for his jeep and personal loader (shovel).
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Gold Member

Nice job

Silver Member
    Tractor
    806Farmall 1650Oliver

Was i the only one thinking he was going to make it a powered axle?

Tractor
    Sportsman 570

Thanks for the kind words guys. This is my 1st serious project. I'd never layed a bead of weld before this. LOL

You're right Texasjohn, it is the size it is because of what I'm towing it with, my means of loading it, and the trail it has to go on. There are spots where the Jeep can't make the corner without backing up and going again. The trailer has no problem following because it's a little narrower then the Jeep. Now, when things get serious I may get a tandem load at a time dumped at the house and rent a bobcat to load it.

It is a unique little trailer. I've never seen anything like it done on the web... using the highlift to dump either.

I do have way too much into this (aprox $2500), and want to call it done as I have way too many other projects partially done, so the Highlift's staying.

Some specs;

-2X3X1/8" frame
    -3500lb springs
    -Corp 14 bolt axle (1/2" wall)
    -oil bathed bearings
    -18" clearance under the axle
    -38" XML Military surplus tires ($60 each!)
    -16X10" American Racing Outlaw IIs
    -removable pintle ring (to convert to ball if I ever want)
    -60" High lift jack (5,000lb rating)
    -LED brake/signal/licence plate lights
    -tub is aprox 3' wide at the bottom, 4' at the top, 18" deep, and 6' long (Roughly one cubic yard.)

Gold Member
    Tractor
    GC 2310

What a great Job....

I want one just like it for the back of my Escape.

I think you could make a living doing things like this ...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Just one drawback: putting the square tube frame on the inside of the dumpbody, will make dumping sticky material, rip rap or mulch nearly impossible.
    Free scrap is a good investment !!!
    “The worst enemy of life, freedom and the common decencies is total anarchy; their second worst enemy is total efficiency” · Aldous Huxley
    1998 Volvo S70 2.5 TDI
    2007 Volvo 440 1.9 TD based dirt buggy

Tractor
    Sportsman 570

I thought of that. It's main purpose will be gravel and crusher dust. Worst case with those will be a couple handfulls left behind. I could also just put some angled sheet steel to defelect material.

DougM; there's no way I could make money building such things... with the amount of time I put into it, it would end up costing more then people would be willing to pay. It's just a hobby that I enjoy. Once I get a little more experience I may do little jobs here and there for favors, or horse trade, or beer. LOL

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7305

Great idea with using the high-lift jack for dumping! Never seen that before. Linear actuators are kinda flimsy until you get into the higher amperage and many hundreds of dollars. Hydraulic is great, but then you need remotes on your tractor which you obviously don't. So the jack setup seems pretty slick. It also seems like having a tall jack mounted dead center on the trailer would make it visually easier to back up to centered for getting it coupled to your tow rig.

But! My biggest question is, how long does it take to get the trailer dumped when loaded full, and how much effort is it (honestly) ? Would it be too much to ask you to take a video of you dumping the trailer, or at least time yourself doing it? Many thanks in advance if you can.

If this setup works as well as I hope it might, I just may go looking for an existing small tilt trailer and simply fab up mounts for a high-lift jack to get it converted to "dumping". I need a small dump trailer for my trails too, but have little to no money to spend on one. Certainly not $2500 and months worth of fab time, haha. But your trailer kicks *****!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast