Dumping offroad military trailer

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #11  
A trailer jack would work too and if you got a two speed box from a semi trailer jack setup it would move fairly fast too.

ps great project! :)

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #12  
Hello,
Looks like you did a great job on the build, but wow, what a lot of work for such a little squirt of a trailer !!!!! Please don't take offense, but you sure can't haul much at a time with that trailer !!!!! Great job though !!!!!!

MFWD

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #13  
great job, super stout...you'll find many uses for it. And, it'll never be overloaded.

MFWD, he doesn't have a tractor so it gets filled by the shovel full...I think it's just the right size for his jeep and personal loader (shovel).

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #14  
Nice job

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #15  
Was i the only one thinking he was going to make it a powered axle?

/ Dumping offroad military trailer
Thanks for the kind words guys. This is my 1st serious project. I'd never layed a bead of weld before this. LOL

You're right Texasjohn, it is the size it is because of what I'm towing it with, my means of loading it, and the trail it has to go on. There are spots where the Jeep can't make the corner without backing up and going again. The trailer has no problem following because it's a little narrower then the Jeep. Now, when things get serious I may get a tandem load at a time dumped at the house and rent a bobcat to load it.

It is a unique little trailer. I've never seen anything like it done on the web... using the highlift to dump either.

I do have way too much into this (aprox $2500), and want to call it done as I have way too many other projects partially done, so the Highlift's staying.

Some specs;

-2X3X1/8" frame
-3500lb springs
-Corp 14 bolt axle (1/2" wall)
-oil bathed bearings
-18" clearance under the axle
-38" XML Military surplus tires ($60 each!)
-16X10" American Racing Outlaw IIs
-removable pintle ring (to convert to ball if I ever want)
-60" High lift jack (5,000lb rating)
-LED brake/signal/licence plate lights
-tub is aprox 3' wide at the bottom, 4' at the top, 18" deep, and 6' long (Roughly one cubic yard.)

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #17  
What a great Job....

I want one just like it for the back of my Escape.

I think you could make a living doing things like this ...

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #18  
Just one drawback: putting the square tube frame on the inside of the dumpbody, will make dumping sticky material, rip rap or mulch nearly impossible.

/ Dumping offroad military trailer
I thought of that. It's main purpose will be gravel and crusher dust. Worst case with those will be a couple handfulls left behind. I could also just put some angled sheet steel to defelect material.

DougM; there's no way I could make money building such things... with the amount of time I put into it, it would end up costing more then people would be willing to pay. It's just a hobby that I enjoy. Once I get a little more experience I may do little jobs here and there for favors, or horse trade, or beer. LOL

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #20  
Great idea with using the high-lift jack for dumping! Never seen that before. Linear actuators are kinda flimsy until you get into the higher amperage and many hundreds of dollars. Hydraulic is great, but then you need remotes on your tractor which you obviously don't. So the jack setup seems pretty slick. It also seems like having a tall jack mounted dead center on the trailer would make it visually easier to back up to centered for getting it coupled to your tow rig.

But! My biggest question is, how long does it take to get the trailer dumped when loaded full, and how much effort is it (honestly) ? Would it be too much to ask you to take a video of you dumping the trailer, or at least time yourself doing it? Many thanks in advance if you can.

If this setup works as well as I hope it might, I just may go looking for an existing small tilt trailer and simply fab up mounts for a high-lift jack to get it converted to "dumping". I need a small dump trailer for my trails too, but have little to no money to spend on one. Certainly not $2500 and months worth of fab time, haha. But your trailer kicks *****!