Dumping offroad military trailer

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #1  

NS Gearhead

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X350
Hi everyone! I've been trolling the build it yourself forum for a while and decided to contribute a little. I don't have a "tractor", but call my Jeep one and use it as a tractor.

Here's a little trailer I picked up fall of 2010, and started working on at the start of 2011. I know... extremely slow progress... but life gets in the way... I'm sure you can all identify. LOL I'm determined to finish it soon. Here's the lead up;

What it looked like when I bough it
Picture023-1.jpg

Donor axle
Picture024-1.jpg

Tires and bed liner
Picture022.jpg

Stripping the axle
0012.jpg

012.jpg

Wheels (matched the Jeep at that time)
020.jpg

028.jpg

Buddy doing me a favor
monkerwonkers023.jpg

monkerwonkers030.jpg

Pile O metal
0112.jpg

Start of the new frame
71.jpg

026-2.jpg

axle ready
029.jpg

another favor from another buddy with his own 4X4 plasma table
014-2.jpg

Painted
017-1.jpg

axle slung under
042.jpg

tires on
068.jpg

high density polysomethingerother so she don't squeek
003.jpg

donor trailer stripped of what's not needed
004.jpg

junkpile.jpg

crossmembers added
001-2.jpg

tub and new frame introduced for the 1st time
004-1.jpg

"holder" built
004-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

lifting brackets made
009-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Hinges
001-3.jpg

after lots of messing around 1st full dump at 45 deg
001-5.jpg

fenders
002-5.jpg

003-4.jpg

004-5.jpg

005-4.jpg

Not enough
015-2.jpg

Fender extensions
001-8.jpg

003-6.jpg

005-6.jpg

Much better
007-4.jpg

Some wireing
008-3.jpg

001-7.jpg

003-5.jpg

Last owner cut a ****** version of a tailgate... so here's the repair. Before;
001-10.jpg

006-6.jpg

002-9.jpg

001-11.jpg

Tailgate
004-8.jpg

Lower hinges
005-8.jpg

The upper tubing "lip" was bowed out and in wanting to put 6 stake pockets in for cheater boards it needed to be perfectly straight so replacing with square tubing. Also shows the upper chain link welded
011-3.jpg

010-3.jpg

and that's where I'm at now. I'm also fixing some rust, but that's no fun... so no pics of it. LOL

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #2  
Like the idea of dumping with the jack:thumbsup:

/ Dumping offroad military trailer
We have 4 acres... and at 1st I thought I'd "open the property lines"... then I thought I might winden it enough to drive the Jeep around... then I thought I'd put some gravel down to make it a nice walking trail (that's what I tell the Mrs... but it's really a go kart track ; )... so that's what started the dump trailer build.

Taking her for the 1st ride on the trail
006-4.jpg

007-4.jpg

Picking up it's 1st load
009-5.jpg

and... wow, one load doesn't cover much.
014-2.jpg

Like the idea of dumping with the jack:thumbsup:

Thanks! I was going to use hydraulics and started gathering parts... but it was going to be too expensive... and I had the jack already. It's rated for 5,000lbs and my caculations say that a full load of gravel should be near 3,500lbs... and that's not being lifted, just tilted. The only drawback is that when it comes to spreading gravel it will be a two man job. One driving once the load starts to pour, and another on the jack.

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #5  
Wow nice job, looks like it will get a lot of use!

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #6  
Thanks! I was going to use hydraulics and started gathering parts... but it was going to be too expensive... and I had the jack already. It's rated for 5,000lbs and my caculations say that a full load of gravel should be near 3,500lbs... and that's not being lifted, just tilted. The only drawback is that when it comes to spreading gravel it will be a two man job. One driving once the load starts to pour, and another on the jack.

I like it - especially the axle revision. How did you ensure straightness when welding the axle tubes together?

Have you considered hinging your tailgate at the top like a dumptruck? With a remote trip lever and chains to regulate the amount the gate opens, you could raise the bed, drive along the trail, pull the latch and tailgate spread it.

How's does the Jeep like having 2 tons of trailer behind it?

The sleve inside the axle tubes were a pretty tight fit, though not a press fit. The spool was a press fit on the sleve, so the three parts (spool and both axle tubes) were clamped in a big piece of angle iron and welded with a big 220 mig. Took about 5 passes as the spool was tapered. My buddy with the lathe did that part.

The top hinges are coming and the chains shown will also be used to limit the gate opening... though I hadn't thought of a remote trip lever. I'll give that some thought... it would be awefully handy when it comes time to put the crusher dust topper on the trail.

The one load I did pull was probably 2/3 full, and the Jeep didn't really notice it was there. She's no stocker though; 6.0, 4L65E, 241OR, D60, 14blt, ARB & Detroit, 4.56s

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #8  
Why not a 12v linear actuator to dump? If you could find 1 heavy enough for a good price. Then you could dump from the cab.

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #9  
Nice build , excellent fab work . Ican see a 12 volt hyd . self contained unit coming up pretty quick .

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #10  
look arround for a junked snow plow for the 12v pump and valves. The angle rams could be used together for lift.