Fuel Trailer

/ Fuel Trailer #1  

AGRIMAN

Platinum Member
Tractor
A little of everything
A few months back I mentioned that we were building a fuel trailer and that I would post some pictures. This was a "round to it" project and there is still a few things to finish but it's almost complete. The original plan started out simple, just take some scrap metal from around the shop, build a small trailer and mount one of our old fuel tanks to it. Just something to make hauling fuel to the field easier, but along the way it sort of grew...LOL.

Most of the materials we already had, metal for the trailer, metal to build the fenders, axle (had to be shorten), toolboxes, hose reel and the tank (original). We fab up the trailer and did a full mockup which really meant we continued adding stuff until there was no more room, then everything was disassembled and sandblasted to bare metal. We then pre-treated all the metal and Powder Coated everything. Zink powder base, top coat and a 90% gloss clear coat. I know? it was overkill for a fuel trailer

We still have to decide what to do with the wheels and mount the freshly WET painted hose reel (decided it wasn't worth disassembling to PC).

If you are wondering:
Trailer is gloss black.
Tank and fenders are black chrome.
Toolboxes are silver vein.
Hose reel is red.

DSC04220.JPG
DSC04517.JPG
DSC04518.JPG
DSC04522.JPG
DSC04525.JPG
DSC04528.JPG

/ Fuel Trailer #2  
Nice, I need to something like that for keeping fuel around the house. That way I could go the coop and get gas and offroad fuel and quit using jugs. I have one rectangular fuel tank and need to come up with another. LUTT

/ Fuel Trailer
Thanks... The main reason we built it was to get away from cans.

/ Fuel Trailer #4  
Nice job.

/ Fuel Trailer #6  
Nice, I need to something like that for keeping fuel around the house. That way I could go the coop and get gas and offroad fuel and quit using jugs. I have one rectangular fuel tank and need to come up with another. LUTT

That would not be a good idea for gas because of the potential for static discharge. I did something like this for a while--for gas--and used a grounding wire when I filled up and a wire discharge hose for gas use when I pumped out. I stopped when the risk sobered me up.

No problem for diesel, however, so the OP is OK.

/ Fuel Trailer #7  
That would not be a good idea for gas because of the potential for static discharge. I did something like this for a while--for gas--and used a grounding wire when I filled up and a wire discharge hose for gas use when I pumped out. I stopped when the risk sobered me up.

Not trying to be a horses rearend, but it will probly sound like it. I know a little about static electricity,people are still blowing theirselves up at the pump while fueling there cars. I have to either carry gas and diesel in 5 to 10 5 gallon jugs,or in my auxillary fuel tank in the back of the truck. I cant justify the cost of permanet fuel tanks at my house either.And in this day and time,that just opens you up for thievery, You think hauling 50 gallons of gas in the back of the truck in gas jugs is safe, I dont think so,the new generation gas cans suck for venting. It least my auxillary fuel tank is vented well,baffled,and heavy gauge tank. I really dont like having it in the back of the truck,so I am gonna get another one for gas,one for diesel,and put on a trailer. You think the guy hauling 8000 gallons of gas on a 8 wheeled trailer behind a big truck is any safer,just because he is endorsed to do so,with placards is any safer, I dont,they deal with static electricity also,my friend owns one of the local fuel coops,he will tell that himself,he endorsed to haul.Every thing I have runs on gas except for my tractor.I work a month on and a month off,that is gone away from home a month. I have a wife and 2 girls that are pretty self sufficient. But I am not leaving them with out fuel when I am gone. Living in Northeast Ark. we are prone to having tornado's, starting about anytime. Ice storms, and a few years ago, we had the flood of the century,that pretty much isolated Pocahontas a week,you think their was any fuel around by the time the week was up? So you better always have extra fuel on hand and like Warn says Be prepared. If I am not home they have to depend on theirselves. They can cut their way out,use the tractor,the ranger, jeep,or 4x4 truck, which both are equipped to handle most anything,but not without gas. I had rather have it on a trailer to haul back and forth between fill ups instead of messing with jugs in the truck,if it was just a few gallons,no but its not.It can be done and done safely.By the way, I am a engineer on a 10500 horsepower towboat on the Lower Mississippi River,we go thru a lot of diesel fuel a day on here. On my 30 days off,I help my friend manage his rice farm,he goes thru a lot of gas and diesel also,I also was a vol. fireman for 15 of my forty years. So I guess I know a little about static electricity,fuel and a bunch of other stuff that doesnt have anything to do with this thread.LUTT

/ Fuel Trailer
Thanks all,

We are going to fill up the tank today and see how it handles the weight. In all, it should be a real handy thing to have. Another reason for having it is we can now pick up our own fuel from the different local suppliers depending on who has the best price at the time and avoid the delivery and surcharges. We also have a local country store that sales off road fuel, their prices are about the same as the fuel suppliers, but they are open on the weekends which can be nice in a pinch.

/ Fuel Trailer #9  
Thanks all,

We are going to fill up the tank today and see how it handles the weight. In all, it should be a real handy thing to have. Another reason for having it is we can now pick up our own fuel from the different local suppliers depending on who has the best price at the time and avoid the delivery and surcharges. We also have a local country store that sales off road fuel, their prices are about the same as the fuel suppliers, but they are open on the weekends which can be nice in a pinch.
Not sure how much fuel you go thru, but some stations will offer discounts if you only buy fuel from them. You would need to speak with the manager/owner.

/ Fuel Trailer #10  

There is nothing wrong with dispensing gasoline from a trailer mounted or truck mounted rig as long as you take the proper precautions. Nothing builds up static electricity like an airplane and they are fueled with 100 octane all the time from portable tanks. What do they do. Well first thing is attach a static ground wire to the vehicle to drain the static charge, then they use a hose just like the commercial gas stations that has a wire ground inside the hose that is grounded to the nozzle and then to the supply tank so everything is connected so no sparks. If you did the same thing with your portable tank then there would not be an danger of static discharge to start a fire.
By the way, most of the gas station fires occur not from static discharge between tank and nozzle but from the fueler who decides it too cold and jumps back in the car with nylon or wool pants, skirt or whatever and gets a good charge going, then they jump out to remove the nozzle where it has just produces buckets of fumes and when they touch the nozzle the static discharges and BOOM. Many places have warning about this and national safety institutes will warn you to touch the vehicle or other grounded structure after leaving your seat to discharge any static electricity prior to fueling. Even grabbing the fuel nozzle will discharge you as long as you don't go back and recharge by sliding across the seat in your vehicle between filling.
All that being said, I don't store large quantities of gasoline due to the ethanol blend getting stale very quickly. I get 6 gallons at a time for my lawnmower and treat it with Stabil immediately. I also only use PURE GAS for lawnmowers with no ethanol when I can find it.