UK hydraulic log splitter build

/ UK hydraulic log splitter build #21  
Looks real nice Mick. Keep up the good work. I know nearing the end of my build I wouldn't put oil in the motor until the time came to fire it up, I was afraid I would rush things if the motor was ready to go.

/ UK hydraulic log splitter build #22  
I've managed to get quite a bit done lately, just not had a chance to update this thread.

The wedge is now fully welded together and to the slider. The beams are now welded along their entire length too.

View attachment 309256 View attachment 309264

I made some precision chamfers on the slider clamps using the angle grinder :) The angle is a pretty good match to the inside of the beam.

View attachment 309258

The foot now has a nice thick lump of plate welded on to reinforce it. I still need to add some pointy bits to stop the log sliding off the foot.

View attachment 309263

The best news of all is that I have had the wedge running back and forth under air pressure. I shall put a short video on YouTube soon.
At 90 PSI I even managed to split some pine pallet slats. The movement is very jerky under air pressure, but no load cylinder extension takes about 2 seconds. If it's that quick under hydraulic power I'll be impressed, but I'm not holding out too much hope yet.

Good job!
The pusher is plenty stout but I would add some more rows of weld to the foot where it attaches to the beam. When splitting wood, it doesn't press evenly against the foot so when the wood is only touching the out most part of the foot it applies uneven force to that weld. If you can, Add some gussets underneath that don't interfere with the slider also. Been there.
Dennis

/ UK hydraulic log splitter build #23  
I've managed to get quite a bit done lately, just not had a chance to update this thread.

The wedge is now fully welded together and to the slider. The beams are now welded along their entire length too.

View attachment 309256 View attachment 309264

I made some precision chamfers on the slider clamps using the angle grinder :) The angle is a pretty good match to the inside of the beam.

View attachment 309258

The foot now has a nice thick lump of plate welded on to reinforce it. I still need to add some pointy bits to stop the log sliding off the foot.

View attachment 309263

The best news of all is that I have had the wedge running back and forth under air pressure. I shall put a short video on YouTube soon.
At 90 PSI I even managed to split some pine pallet slats. The movement is very jerky under air pressure, but no load cylinder extension takes about 2 seconds. If it's that quick under hydraulic power I'll be impressed, but I'm not holding out too much hope yet.

Good job!
The pusher is plenty stout but I would add some more rows of weld to the foot where it attaches to the beam. When splitting wood, it doesn't press evenly against the foot so when the wood is only touching the out most part of the foot it applies uneven force to that weld. If you can, Add some gussets underneath that don't interfere with the slider also. Been there.:D
Dennis

/ UK hydraulic log splitter build
There are three runs of weld there, one in the root and a further two on top. In all I'd say there is roughly 3/8" of weld fillet. The plate is only 1/4" thick, so hopefully it won't be the weld that lets go :eek:
However there will always be room for improvement

And here a short video of the first run, albeit under air power.
YouTube link

Friday afternoon saw a real life test.
As I have some uncertainty over the splitter's hydraulic compatibility with the JD, I chose to make this run using just the tractor's control valve.
Results were very pleasing, nothing broke, and the cylinder speed is pretty respectable with the engine just at tickover. I also have a small trailer filled with split wood :D

Another video here on YouTube

Having worked with the splitter for this short time sat in my box trailer, I am now sure I want it to run horizontally, so I think I'll add some kind of 3 point brackets, design to be decided. I also realise the benefit of having a table either side to catch the split wood, so that will be added to the agenda too.

/ UK hydraulic log splitter build #28  
Very nice Mick! Nothing quite like the having one of our creations come to life is there? LOL
What's the scoop on the D90 series truck?
dave

/ UK hydraulic log splitter build #29  
Looks good Mick, the wedge slide should hold up well. A few bits to consider, on your base to keep log on the foot a piece of pipe 3 or 4" dia. about 1/2" tall split into two halves welded on with a short gap between them, so it is oblong rather than round. Then at the web part of the foot weld a plate from the beam to the foot, should keep you from having any problems in the future. If possible running your hydraulic lines to a valve close to the cylinder, for safety, a lot of wood may need to be held in place until the wedge has it and it will be hard to do from your tractor.
Nice job, I like the access to all the machining equipment.

Randy

Very nice Mick! Nothing quite like the having one of our creations come to life is there? LOL
What's the scoop on the D90 series truck?
dave

Very true Dave, most satisfying. Now I need to make sure I actually get on and finish it :rolleyes:

<OT bit here>
The D90 is a 1986 model that I've owned for 19 years now. This has been my workhorse, plaything and daily driver for many years. The daily driver job became a shared one 7 years ago when I bought a 1990 Range Rover.
It was one of the very earlier coil sprung Landrovers, and was built before the Defender name came along, so really it's a 'Landrover 90'. It came out of the factory with a 3.5 litre Rover V8 (the old Buick derived engine). Now it bears a 3.9 lump from a 1995 Discovery complete with auto transmission. Having owned it so long, you'll appreciate it has had many other modifications too. One day I might write about them all :)
</OT>