Just another DIY tractor canopy

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #11  
Been a 'Niner fan all my life, but this game is hard to watch.

Marcus

Tell me 'bout it, gotta be the worst commercials EVER! Very disappointing this year..

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy
I've never had a reason to take off the loader and I don't think I ever will. If I do though, the canopy will still have enough strength, but it will vibrate a little bit more.

Painful game to see Niners lose, but at least the second half turned into a real game.

Marcus

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #13  
My neighbor had the best Idea I have seen for homemade ones he used a "Aluminum Car Hood" that was off something. Our local junkyards will sell the slightly dinged ones by the pound. His I think he said he gave 18 bucks for & came off a GEO or Saturn. he took hood hinges with it and welded angle to it and bolted right onto the ROPS using the factory locations. it hangs out just right and looks great. His hood came in white & he said they had a good one in red that matched his tractor as well but was 35 or 40 bucks as perfect condition.

Mark

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #14  
My neighbor had the best Idea I have seen for homemade ones he used a "Aluminum Car Hood" that was off something. Our local junkyards will sell the slightly dinged ones by the pound. His I think he said he gave 18 bucks for & came off a GEO or Saturn. he took hood hinges with it and welded angle to it and bolted right onto the ROPS using the factory locations. it hangs out just right and looks great. His hood came in white & he said they had a good one in red that matched his tractor as well but was 35 or 40 bucks as perfect condition.

Mark

Any chance you could get a photo of that? I have thought of such a thing but never got far enough to try it.

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #15  
That's a nice canopy, but what happens when you want to remove the loader??? Seems kind of problematic since the front of the canopy will have no support, if the loader was removed.

I bought a golf cart canopy last fall and plan to adapt it on my JD 790 before summertime gets here. Still working out the design the frame for it.

Good Evenin kebo,
That may be an issue for some, but in all the years I have owned my Massey, I dont think I have had the whole frame off more than once !

Although I do have a QA, and usually just detach the front bucket... wouldnt be an issue or me... :)

Exactly. Me too. I often take off the FEL bucket to switch to forks using SSQA, but never have to take off the entire frame.

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #18  
Any chance you could get a photo of that? I have thought of such a thing but never got far enough to try it.

Hey SIXDOGS I'll see what I can do, I have not talked to him in a couple months. Him and I are warm weather farmers for most part we get the tractors out to clean off snow and shove em back in barn and then out running all summer long with them. His is on his Fouton 454 (45HP 4x4 - 4500 to 5000 lbs) so the car hood fits just right over his seat from the ROPS mount.

Mark

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #19  
Good Evenin schweizer,
Simple and functional, I like it ! Great idea using the loader frame a couple of holes, and threading the ends of the rod.
)

Could there be a problem with lateral stress that would cause the bolts to rotate? ...unlikely, perhaps

Good thinking, but they were about 8" bolts that are shoved way up in the EMT conduit -- they can't move much. The canopy is pushing down on the front, so the bolts can't pop out on any big bumps either.