Just another DIY tractor canopy

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #1  

schweizer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE Hst
Just finished building my tractor canopy yesterday. I wasn't about to pay >$500 for a piece of fiberglass.

tractor_canopy1.jpg tractor_canopy2.jpg tractor_canopy3.jpg tractor_canopy4.jpg tractor_canopy5.jpg

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #2  
Looks great and yeah, I need to build one myself. Sure is nice to keep out of the sun.
Any lights?

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #4  
Looking Good! I can't believe the prices of canopies either.

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #5  
Looks good and it well get the job done. In the summer time I can't believe the differents in temp they make.

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy
Thanks for the comments! Yes, I added both front & rear lights, just didn't realize no pics yet. I'll take a few more pics & post later.

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #7  
I like it. Could you provide a few details on the materials used?

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #8  
Good Evenin schweizer,
Simple and functional, I like it ! Great idea using the loader frame a couple of holes, and threading the ends of the rod.

Nothing like staying out of the sun on those hot days !!! :)

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy
Sure, KennyG: it's all just material I had lying around.

Roof of 1/2" plywood, doubled up in the stressed areas or where there would be multiple screws for lights, etc.
Border of 1" x 1 1/2" ceder.
3" U-bolts, 2x4"s under and above distribute the stresses.
Everything glued and screwed w/ polyurethane glue (Gorilla glue).
Painted with 2 coats of rubberized RV roof coating/primer.
Top coat of dark grey Rustoleum spray paint.

Without the front supports, it would have worked fine, but it vibrated a bit.
I had some 1/2" threaded rod which fits perfectly inside EMT conduit, and I don't have an EMT bender so the 1/2" is easier to bend.
The holes in the loader frame were pre-drilled. I just bent some long bolts into 90 deg angles. The bolt heads fit quite snugly into the EMT with minimal grinding of the heads with an angle grinder. I was planning on securing them with J-B weld but didn't have to.

Been a 'Niner fan all my life, but this game is hard to watch.

Marcus

/ Just another DIY tractor canopy #10  
Good Evenin schweizer,
Simple and functional, I like it ! Great idea using the loader frame a couple of holes, and threading the ends of the rod.

Nothing like staying out of the sun on those hot days !!! :)

That's a nice canopy, but what happens when you want to remove the loader??? Seems kind of problematic since the front of the canopy will have no support, if the loader was removed.

I bought a golf cart canopy last fall and plan to adapt it on my JD 790 before summertime gets here. Still working out the design the frame for it.