Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    TYM T451,bolens G214.John Deere 440CID,Shaver sc25 stunpbuster,woods750 backhoe,wallenstien splitter,woods bb60 mower,woods 60"tiller,countryline tiller,99 international 4700 car carrier

Default Re: Shop Floor Epoxy's, Which ones to use/stay away from. Also Drylok ?

Sherwim Williams makes an awesome epoxy floor coating tough as nails after it cures

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Allmand TLB 425

Did the garage floor at work in 2005 , Municipal garage in snow country, when you put a salt shaker away for the night the melting snow and calcium additive will drip out on the floor overnite in such high concentration that the sealer the concrete supplier chose just for this job was gone in 3 months. We needed a new solution as salt in this concentration will spall concrete in weeks ,the RustOleum water base epoxy is not very chemical resistant , some brake Kleen , lacquer thinner and some other stuff will attack it, not good enough.

So we contacted the local Sherwin Williams who sent a man to the garage, he said the rest of the sealer had to come off , then a strong acid etch - the concrete needs to feel like 100grit sandpaper, if we weren't willing to do that prep then we shouldn't use their product. He guaranteed it would hold up to the salt as long as we repaired any damage we did that exposed the concrete (plows, forgetting to put mats for tire chains ,etc.) Long story short 7+ years later the floor still looks good , the salt still drips on it and grows crystals an inch thick by the following day and it doesn't hurt a thing Welding and torching will put some marks on it but it doesn't destroy the integrity of the coating, I have yet to see any chemical make any type of mark on it, it's not really easy to chip, we did have to put a board under the metal bandsaw so the drops don't chip it.

Sherwin Williams Armor Seal 1000HS
    It's a good bit more expensive than RustOleum , it really needs 2 coats , the first coat needs reduced 10% so it flows into the pores better , it stinks pretty bad while your putting it down, it's oil base and probably bad for the environment and it's the only thing I'll ever use on a garage floor until they quit making it

Ray
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tractor
    Husqvarna / John Deere

Does the epoxy affect Radiant heat at all?
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS
    John Deere LT 133
    Husqvarna 7021P
    Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported with .025 pop up Muffler Mod
    Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
    Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
    STIHL 009 1998
    STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
    STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
    STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower2012

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE G View Post
    Does the epoxy affect Radiant heat at all?
    I would think it would depend on what type of radiant heat you're referring to, and when it was installed, re: methodology of install. I'm NOT professing to have the answer to your question- and I too would like to know what effect if any the epoxy coating would have, since I too have a concrete garage floor which is heated by radiant.
    My best guess would be none whatsoever, but that's just my best guess.....
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Allmand TLB 425

No effect in the garage I addressed above , pex in 6" slab heated by a small nat gas boiler, highest floor temp I've ever measured was 87f. 40x60 x14ft ceiling pole bldg, 6"fiberglass in walls,36"cellulose in ceiling, 2" styro under slab, drywall walls, metal ceiling. 62~64f thermostat setting, if you wet the floor and bring the humidity up it gets a little too warm to work in a t shirt.

Ray
    Last edited by ptgdigger; 02-05-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: add bldg info

Veteran Member
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Voice of experience here. I worked for a Navy Public Works Dept for 26 years in facility planning and maintenance. We tried epoxy and it always failed. It is hard and brittle and chips easy. We finally zeroed in on the urethane products. They are somewhat flexible and take abuse of dropping tools and larger stuff as what happens in shops. We also went with a white color for the reflective value of light up into the work area. It lasted a long time. Any product will fail if the manufacturer's instructions for prep and coating are not followed to the letter. We had contractors try shortcuts and they were back in the one year warranty period stripping and redoing at their cost. There are no shortcuts. A good job is time consuming and expensive but worth it if the floor is used a lot and subject to abuse. A home garage, don't waste your money, I am talking about full time maintenance or production shops.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Allmand TLB 425

Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Seabee View Post
    A home garage, don't waste your money, I am talking about full time maintenance or production shops.
    So a home garage we should just surrender it to the oil stains and spalling from de-icing salt dripping from the cars?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    918 allis-chalmers

A home garage can have a variety of protection coatings. If you're not burning,welding, on the floor, a properly prepared epoxy coating looks pretty good.
    My new garage floor would just get Lapidolith or Euclid SURF-HARD(must be 10 day old crete or more) or equivalent,for superior hardness and resistance to chipping. Then it would get a total cleaning and Super Diamond clear applied.Clean and reapply in 5 yrs. don-ohio (:^)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptgdigger View Post
    So a home garage we should just surrender it to the oil stains and spalling from de-icing salt dripping from the cars?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC 30

Try u coat it wonderful product any color chip addative to create about any floor you would want. Not cheap$$$ but doeswhat it says it will do. I know of several race shops that have been down about 4 years and the stuff is indestructable.

Tractor
    Husqvarna / John Deere

If I poured it in October and I will not be able to coat it till at least may due to the weather so that should be enough cure time right?
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS
    John Deere LT 133
    Husqvarna 7021P
    Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported with .025 pop up Muffler Mod
    Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
    Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
    STIHL 009 1998
    STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
    STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
    STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower2012

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast