Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer?

/ Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer? #1  

Rio_Grande

Platinum Member
We have been a victim of invasive weeds for years and last year we almost lost the garden to them. While visiting Florida last spring I saw machines that prepped the soil, shaped them into raised beds and laid down black plastic over a drip irrigation line. While it seems very complicated, the machine operated on some very simple principals. I was wondering if anyone has built one from scratch and if they have any words of wisdom?

/ Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer? #3  
I'll be following this thread, and hope you get lots of ideas. A couple of years ago I watched a fella putting in mulch and drip tape with one of those attachments. Pretty handy unit! Mark

/ Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer?
Thanks brad. I am going to order my hollers from them. I don't think I can make them cheaper. I may get a pair of sweeps from them as well to cut in front of the plastic edges to give the plastic a place to go.

/ Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer? #7  
I have not built one, but I own one. There are several models on the market. My plan is build a prebedder that will work with my set-up. I have a buckeye tractor co combo layer. Buckeye builds their unit so that it is almost infinitely adjustable. The bedder section is easy, drip tape shank is super simple, the tape roll must have brake to prevent overrun of spool, the layer part is just rollers ( mine uses PVC sch 40 pipe with wooden caps), the stretching wheels are spring loaded with a tensioner and then the cover discs are very easy.
The other units are similar they just have different parts. If you know exactly how you want your bed you can weld it up and it will preform better in my opinion. Buckeye has two good resources on their website.
My thought process in going with the buckeye was adjustments for different beds. The mechanical advantage of moving soil instead of plowing it in the press pan. It makes bigger beds with less HP. The toolbar system they use is simple and versatile. Their knowledge is second to none on working with your soil instead of against it.
I make 32" wide beds 6" high with a Mahindra 5010. I have assembled it three times adjusting it like I want. Rainflo is a straight forward sled type that requires 10 HP per inch of height. Reddick is very similar. Kennco is a very nice design also, but requires some HP.
I would first look at the two documents from buckeye, they explain the art of doing it. The whole design is very very simple. I would have built mine if I had ever seen one up close.

Attachments

• image-2417501463.jpg
    image-2417501463.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 1,509
   / Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer? #8  
Thanks brad. I am going to order my hollers from them. I don't think I can make them cheaper. I may get a pair of sweeps from them as well to cut in front of the plastic edges to give the plastic a place to go.

If your doing it all in one pass you don't need to cut away to apply plastic. The soil is still in place and press wheels will place ahead ofcover discs burying it where it needs to be. The hillers help move the soil but the furrow wings and ripper shanks move more. Hillers are optional on most bedders, light soils may not need them. Heavier soils don't move into the center as well and will leave tracks in the center. It is very tricky adjusting hillers so that they don't bulldoze but fill the center of the pan. It is a lot of measuringto get it right. Weight is your friend with a bedder. You need enough weight to press the soil in the pan. I found out the hard way about how it runs. My first thought was I could run it deep and build up soil and let the rippers suck the machine down hard. Does not work. Soil must be worked deep and fine, machine needs to float over it. If rippers are down pulling hard they will lift the press pan. If rippers are too high tire compaction won't allow soil movement. I apologize for rambling...

/ Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer? #9  
I built one last year worked well, i have made a few mods since, to funnel dirt int more of a raised bed

ATTACH=CONFIG]301743[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG00150-20120414-1823.jpg
    IMG00150-20120414-1823.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 4,287
   / Anyone built a raised bed shaper with a plastic mulch layer?
Thanks for the replies, I need the advice, we

Have clay ish soil. So I am sure that will effect how it works. I have a 58 and 55 hp tractor so we should have plenty of pulling power. I will look at buckeye I have been looking at their units to influence the design.

Nice build