Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: How To Cut Half Inch Steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    A snow plow cutting edge is hardened. It will ruin a bandsaw blade.
    Well I didn't think of that. Then I would get the torch out.. that explains why he had no luck with the metal blade in the sawzall.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

I would try .045 abrasive cutting wheels and see if you can etch a straight line across your mark...it should not take more than 2 disks to cut 5"'s of 1/2" hardened steel...if it etches a groove across the 5" stay with it and take your time to maintain the cut line and get the most out of the disks...if it is so hard that the disk wants to skate I would opt for a torch or plasma cutter...if the .045 wheel is ineffective it will be just as hard to grind smooth with an abrasive grinding disk... if it's that hard it may be easier to snap it off if you can make some control cuts at either edge... JMO...
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    A snow plow cutting edge is hardened. It will ruin a bandsaw blade.
    Not so!

Lenox has a number of bandsaw blades that will cut this material
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Fords

The cheapest and fastest method is going to be a grinder with a cut off disc. There are so many ways this could be done. There are definitely better ways than a grinder, given an unlimited budget. A 7 or 9" grinder with the correct disc will really shine in this application compared to a 4.5". It will take you a lot longer to read all the replies in this thread than it would to cut your steel with a 9" grinder.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Wow, thanks for all the advice, so fast! I'll try the cut-off wheels in my 4 1/2" grinder. I just had regular grinding wheels, so I stopped at the hardware store and got one of every thickness and type of cutoff wheel they had that fit my grinder. Some are type 1 and some are type 27. Thicknesses .045", 080", 090", and 1/8". They're not that expensive, so if it takes a couple that would be okay. I hated to ruin that Sawzall blade right off the bat, though, with no results.
    -Jim

I would avoid using a band saw. Even if you did get blades that wouldn't dull it'll still take forever. A cut off wheel on your grinder would work but my guess is you'll go through a lot of them. I would call a few welders in the area and ask how much they would charge to cut it with a plasma cutter. You could find someone willing to do it at the end of the day for a 6 pack or for real cheap since it'll only take a few minutes to set up and cut it. Plus they could cut both ends so the holes don't end up in funky locations.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    NH T1510 HST

Quote Originally Posted by jimainiac View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the advice, so fast! I'll try the cut-off wheels in my 4 1/2" grinder. I just had regular grinding wheels, so I stopped at the hardware store and got one of every thickness and type of cutoff wheel they had that fit my grinder. Some are type 1 and some are type 27. Thicknesses .045", 080", 090", and 1/8". They're not that expensive, so if it takes a couple that would be okay. I hated to ruin that Sawzall blade right off the bat, though, with no results.
    You might also want to buy/wear a dust mask. The abrasive wheel dust is tough on the lungs.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    "If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?"

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Do you have any neighbors with a 14" chop saw? Those work great for that stuff.
    3720, Frontier 6' BB; 6' Rear Blade.; Loaded tires and Ballast Box; Dirt Scoop.

X740; 62" Deck; w/47" Snoblower; 42" Hydraulic Tiller.
    54" Front blade; 48" Belly Blade

Tractor
    1984 John Deere 455D

I've been a steel worker for 42 years, 25 of those on my own. My first choice would be the Chop Saw. Second choice if my Chop Saw was down would be the hand grinder with cutting blade. Cutting edges are tool / hardened steel. All other ways will fail. Now everyone tell me I'm wrong................Frank
    1984 John Deere 455D Loader with a 4 in 1 bucket

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2011 Kubota L3240DT

Should take about 3 minutes max with a grinder. You're way over thinking this.

Jeff
    2011 Kubota L3240DT
    724 SSQA loader Titan 42" Forks
    513 JD brushhog 6.5' Meyers Snow Plow
    Loader Mounted Boom Pole Loaded Rear Tires
    Work Platform

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast