How To Cut Half Inch Steel?

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #21  
A 4 1/2" grinder with a .045 disc will do the job. The trick is to score a line acrose then use a back and forth movement. If you try to cut straight thru in one pass the disc gets too much contact area and doesn't cut as well.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel?
Just wanted to report that I got the cutting edge cut down this afternoon. I used an .045" cutoff disk in my 4.5" grinder, and it worked great. I had managed to get a nice straight groove across before the Sawzall blade pooped out, and I just kept making passes back and forth as it went down. As the blade got way down in the cut, it started to get grabby and hard to hold steady. I had the handle screwed onto the right side, I guess because I'm left-handed. I switched the handle to the left side and that made it easy to control, all the way through, untill the end flopped off. Then I switched to a regular grinding wheel and took the sharp edges off. Didn't take long at all. I set it on a couple of sawhorses outside the garage, and with a stiff breeze I didn't need a mask. Used goggles, though. Those sparks are rough on the eyeglasses. I compared the used disk to an unused one, and it had only lost 1/8" of it's diameter. It was a number 27 disk. Still don't know what the difference is between type 1 and type 27. They're both metal cutting blades.
Thanks again to everybody that responded with suggestions, you guys are great!

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #23  
type 1 is just a flat disc.
type 27 has a depressed center.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #24  
Sorry to be late, a Lennox brand reciprocating saw blade is awesome for your application. I have not used any that cut better or faster. Glad you got it cut.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #25  
you people have something against a torch? or you like doing things the hard way?

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #27  
you people have something against a torch? or you like doing things the hard way?

The torch happens to be my favorite way to cut steel.

image-3243928742.jpg

Not my cleanest cut ever but it gets cut again for elevation. 1"

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #28  
Even though I have a cutting torch I would have used the same method as the OP...merely because it would be EASIER than running out hoses and bottles and then putting them away again...for such a small task...

And BTW...not everyone has a torch but most do have electric grinders

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #29  
Hate to say it, but if you have sparks actually hitting your goggles, you are getting plenty of metal dust. Dirty sooty boogers. :)

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #30  
The reason why a torch wasn't used was because the cut would have required a 4 1/2" grinder to smooth it out. If anything it would have taken longer because of how jagged the cut would have been.