How To Cut Half Inch Steel?

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #31  
I've been a steel worker for 42 years, 25 of those on my own. My first choice would be the Chop Saw. Second choice if my Chop Saw was down would be the hand grinder with cutting blade. Cutting edges are tool / hardened steel. All other ways will fail. Now everyone tell me I'm wrong................Frank
Just wanted to report that I got the cutting edge cut down this afternoon. I used an .045" cutoff disk in my 4.5" grinder, and it worked great. I had managed to get a nice straight groove across before the Sawzall blade pooped out, and I just kept making passes back and forth as it went down. As the blade got way down in the cut, it started to get grabby and hard to hold steady. I had the handle screwed onto the right side, I guess because I'm left-handed. I switched the handle to the left side and that made it easy to control, all the way through, untill the end flopped off. Then I switched to a regular grinding wheel and took the sharp edges off. Didn't take long at all. I set it on a couple of sawhorses outside the garage, and with a stiff breeze I didn't need a mask. Used goggles, though. Those sparks are rough on the eyeglasses. I compared the used disk to an unused one, and it had only lost 1/8" of it's diameter. It was a number 27 disk. Still don't know what the difference is between type 1 and type 27. They're both metal cutting blades.
Thanks again to everybody that responded with suggestions, you guys are great!
So obviously a bandsaw blade would have cut it fine.
larry

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #32  
for cuts like this I use either a torch or a 14" chopsaw, I prefer the torch as it is alot quieter. Both methods work very well and are quick.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #33  
Take a 1/8 drill bit. drill a series of holes then use your cut off wheel lot less time you have to dodge sparks

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #34  
Just a suggestion.When ya don't have the means you do what ya gotta do.I would cut it for free with my plasma cutter if he were close enough.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #35  
Just a suggestion.When ya don't have the means you do what ya gotta do.I would cut it for free with my plasma cutter if he were close enough.

Me too.

OTOH, the cut from my 14" Dewalt chopsaw is even smoother than the plasma cut.

0.065" cutting wheels in any one of the 4 angle grinders around my shop would give a cut quality nearly as smooth as either of the the big chop saws.

FWIW, I personally would never attempt to cut AR cutting edges with any kind of bandsaw or recip saw - too hard on the blade. But then I have 4 or 5 other, faster means to cut this kind of stuff.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel?
CNC Dan, thank you for clearing up the mystery. I checked my stack of cutting disks, and the flat ones say type 1, the depressed centers say type 27, like you said. I looked at the label on the grinding disks and they said A-24 on the labels. Is that a code for the size or shape, also?
I think that even if I had a cutting torch or some of the other tools mentioned, in this instance the cutoff wheel was the best tool for the job, all things considered. It was a real eye-opener for me.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #37  
CNC Dan, thank you for clearing up the mystery. I checked my stack of cutting disks, and the flat ones say type 1, the depressed centers say type 27, like you said. I looked at the label on the grinding disks and they said A-24 on the labels. Is that a code for the size or shape, also?
I think that even if I had a cutting torch or some of the other tools mentioned, in this instance the cutoff wheel was the best tool for the job, all things considered. It was a real eye-opener for me.

I believe the A-24 is the grit. This Disc would be a 24 grit.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel?
Jeez, that was quick! Thanks for the info. I'm always curious about designations on tools, equipment, etc. I figure the more you know about the stuff you're using, the better. Knowledge is power!

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #40  
put the right guy on the torch and u wont need all that grinding...its a skill in itself but nice cuts can be made with the right operator and a clean tip...a quick brush with the grinder to get rid of a lil slag is all.