How To Cut Half Inch Steel?

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #61  
The rectangle was cut on a small 4 x 4 cutting machine with a 45 amp Hypertherm air plasma. You can cut just as well with the hand torch on the same plasma...lay down a straightedge, guide the torch (with the drag shield laying right on the material to be cut) and steadily guide the torch. The cut is a smooth as the motion.....coffee helps. Picture I posted earlier of the log splitter wedge...the wedge was cut on the same cnc machine with the same plasma....except for the beveled edges...which were cut by hand guiding the torch with a straight edge.

Jim Colt

Wow I don't think i could use a cut off wheel and hand grinder and get a cut that smooth

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #62  
View attachment 303919Plasma cut on 3/8 steel. I wouldn't call it terrible and I see no need to grind it. Cut with a Powermax45 from Hypertherm. 30 inches per minute cut speed.

Jim
Hi Jim,
I am in planing stages of purchasing plasma cutter for my shop. Hypertherm Powermax 65 or 85 is my first choice. What torch was used to cut the steel in your picture?
Is CNC interface standard on or has to be ordered as separate feature?
Ladia.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #63  
The pictured cuts were done with a Powermax45, however the Powermax65, 85 and 105 will cut exacly the same using the 45 amp nozzle. The 65, 85 and 105 have an optional CPC interface connector....it can be bought with the machine (if you get the mechanized torch version, or can be added at any time as a kit for about $100.

Jim Colt

Hi Jim,
I am in planing stages of purchasing plasma cutter for my shop. Hypertherm Powermax 65 or 85 is my first choice. What torch was used to cut the steel in your picture?
Is CNC interface standard on or has to be ordered as separate feature?
Ladia.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #64  
hii Jim,,,,,I read your article from a while back just now ,you ve probably already have your problem solves ,but here is what I would do.... one mark your line where your cut should be, 2,, take your punch and mark it all the way down to the bottom to the top about a half inch between punches ,.Keep in mind that you are dealing with some very difficult kind of steel ,I think if you heat your steel up to try to cut it with a torch you might compromise the steel ,some types of steel require you to heat it up to certain temperature to start your cut, I don't know what you have, but if you are interested you can write me back and I will tell you how to determine what you have. take your big matobo grinder with a 7 inch blade on it ,please wear your safety gear ,,,,,leather gloves any style safety glasses, and a clear grinding shield, hold your matobo where the cuttings and heat are going away from you ,follow your punch marks, its very important that your first quarter inch is even and straight. Continue cutting and let the weight of your matobo do the cutting, your blade will last so much longer, I don't know how much you have to cut but if you can have someone with you and let them hold your piece that you are cutting off ,so it makes it easier to hand and you don't have to worry about your blade cracking or exploding, the take your grinding wheel and round off or feather your blade back so it matches the rest of your blade ,I would coat your cut with a heavy red primer, let it dry until you can use it I hope you get your job done with speed and accuracy have a great day LARRY

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #65  
Abrasive cutoff wheel is defiantly the most economical, in terms of equipment investment, for cutting thick steel in a reasonable amount of time.

Even a circular saw can be used to turn them.

Care should be taken to control the sparks. They can ignite fires, damage paint, glass, concrete, etc.

Everyone should also wear a dust mask. Some believe the dust from the cut off wheels could be the next asbestos. Don't volunteer to be the test subject.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #66  
Most plow cutting edges are made from an alloy containing a high concentration of magnesium for wear resistance. I once cut down a 10' x 6" x 5/8" thick edge with a torch. It looked like a fireworks display gone horribly wrong! The sparks set fire to a pile of sawdust 20' away. Even though I used a rail as a guide for the torch head, the cut was very ragged. The cut took less than a minute and it wasn't pretty but was the fastest way to do it.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #67  
Most plow cutting edges are made from an alloy containing a high concentration of magnesium for wear resistance. I once cut down a 10' x 6" x 5/8" thick edge with a torch. It looked like a fireworks display gone horribly wrong! The sparks set fire to a pile of sawdust 20' away. Even though I used a rail as a guide for the torch head, the cut was very ragged. The cut took less than a minute and it wasn't pretty but was the fastest way to do it.

Wouldn't that more likely be manganese? Iron and magnesium isn't a good mix, generally.