How To Cut Half Inch Steel?

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #1  

jimainiac

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
I have an old cutting edge left over from replacing it on my nine foot snowplow and I'd like to cut it shorter to bolt it onto my seven foot rear blade for some extra weight. It is half inch steel, about five inches wide. I don't have a cutting torch, and I'd like a smooth cut anyway. I tried cutting it with a Sawzall with a 10 TPI Milwaukee "Torch" metal cutting blade with no luck. I bought some assorted sizes of cutoff blades for my four and a half inch portable grinder. I wonder if one of those would work? Or any other suggestions?

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #2  
The 1/8" abrasive wheels in the angle grinder will work, just don't be in a hurry. I've cut 3/8" by 4" steel with one. Be sure to use the thin wheel. BTW there is a type 1 and a type 27 abrasive, I have some of both and are trying them out to see if I can tell the difference. The jury is still out, but leaning toward the type 27 as the better one.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #3  
A cutting wheel (the thin one) for your grinder will cut it. There will be lots of sparks, so stand to the side so that it doesn't catch your cloths on fire. It will give you a clean cut, but you will still need to use a grinding wheel to clean the edges up.
Have you thought of taking it to a shop? They would probably cut it down for you for a small charge, probably comparable to buying grinding wheels.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #4  
Take it to a shop that has a bandsaw. It could also be plasma cut and ground smooth or you could use a big dewalt abrasive chop saw.

I would hope you could find somebody to saw it for $30 if they'll do that small of a minimum charge.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #5  
Do you need a small amount cut from each end to center the mounting holes?

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #6  
if you have a stick welder one can turn up the amps and burn cut it with welding rod, and then grind it smooth, to cut you strike an arc and just push the molten metal out of the grove with the stick, 6011 works,

and there are special cutting rods one can buy,

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #7  
I use worn out abrasive cut off wheels from my chop saw on my 9" milwaukee grinder for jobs like this. I have cut 1" already this way. Just make sure the arbor centers the wheel and tightens properly.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #8  
Another vote for the bandsaw.. easy job for it. I realize you don't have one, but any friends with one.? or take it to a shop, Yes the cutting disk will work, but it will take a while, and you need to do it outside, lots of sparks. I wish you were close, I would cut it for free on my bandsaw.

James K0UA

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #9  
A snow plow cutting edge is hardened. It will ruin a bandsaw blade.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #10  
A snow plow cutting edge is hardened. It will ruin a bandsaw blade.

Well I didn't think of that. Then I would get the torch out.. that explains why he had no luck with the metal blade in the sawzall.