Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Default How To Cut Half Inch Steel?

I have an old cutting edge left over from replacing it on my nine foot snowplow and I'd like to cut it shorter to bolt it onto my seven foot rear blade for some extra weight. It is half inch steel, about five inches wide. I don't have a cutting torch, and I'd like a smooth cut anyway. I tried cutting it with a Sawzall with a 10 TPI Milwaukee "Torch" metal cutting blade with no luck. I bought some assorted sizes of cutoff blades for my four and a half inch portable grinder. I wonder if one of those would work? Or any other suggestions?
    -Jim

TRR
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L235

Default Re: How To Cut Half Inch Steel?

The 1/8" abrasive wheels in the angle grinder will work, just don't be in a hurry. I've cut 3/8" by 4" steel with one. Be sure to use the thin wheel. BTW there is a type 1 and a type 27 abrasive, I have some of both and are trying them out to see if I can tell the difference. The jury is still out, but leaning toward the type 27 as the better one.
    Kubota L235
    John Deere 5055E

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100 HST 4WD

A cutting wheel (the thin one) for your grinder will cut it. There will be lots of sparks, so stand to the side so that it doesn't catch your cloths on fire. It will give you a clean cut, but you will still need to use a grinding wheel to clean the edges up.
    Have you thought of taking it to a shop? They would probably cut it down for you for a small charge, probably comparable to buying grinding wheels.
    "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..." Romans 1:16
    Kubota B7100 HST 4WD
    94 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Take it to a shop that has a bandsaw. It could also be plasma cut and ground smooth or you could use a big dewalt abrasive chop saw.

I would hope you could find somebody to saw it for $30 if they'll do that small of a minimum charge.
    Men, don't wear boxer underwear if you have to mow a bumpy field, liberal men don't have to worry about this.

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Do you need a small amount cut from each end to center the mounting holes?
    Men, don't wear boxer underwear if you have to mow a bumpy field, liberal men don't have to worry about this.

BHD
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 4020

if you have a stick welder one can turn up the amps and burn cut it with welding rod, and then grind it smooth, to cut you strike an arc and just push the molten metal out of the grove with the stick, 6011 works,

and there are special cutting rods one can buy,

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Fords

I use worn out abrasive cut off wheels from my chop saw on my 9" milwaukee grinder for jobs like this. I have cut 1" already this way. Just make sure the arbor centers the wheel and tightens properly.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Another vote for the bandsaw.. easy job for it. I realize you don't have one, but any friends with one.? or take it to a shop, Yes the cutting disk will work, but it will take a while, and you need to do it outside, lots of sparks. I wish you were close, I would cut it for free on my bandsaw.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

A snow plow cutting edge is hardened. It will ruin a bandsaw blade.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    A snow plow cutting edge is hardened. It will ruin a bandsaw blade.
    Well I didn't think of that. Then I would get the torch out.. that explains why he had no luck with the metal blade in the sawzall.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast