quick & fun steel target (standing)

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #1  

SPIKER

Elite Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
Hi All:

Not totally tractor related but I did transport it out back with the FEL and will be building a Better Dirt/Sand Back stop to go in combination.

First off I didn't get good picks to start with but took a couple with my phone after I TESTED it some. We had a plywood backstop there that was pretty poor shape after 200 rounds earlier.

e6a974a6-0d7b-4990-8a0d-6caf0764c110_zpsf46133bb.jpg

Above is UP CLOSE of the mechanical design is simple & pretty cheap.

Below is wider view.

0210131608_zpsae7f7c2d.jpg

What is consists of are pretty easy to build and I maybe put in a few things not really required.

4 each 48" x 1/2 rebar about $2.50~3 bucks each at any HD, Lowes or Menards (mine were from Menards)
5 each 24" x 1/2" rebar about $1.75 each
2 each 24" x 3/8" Rebar ($1.50 cut up in 6" & 12" lengths, targets to hang from and for leg ground penetrations on back.)
3 each 4" x 1/2" pipe nipples 75cent ea
1 each 6" x 1/2" pipe nipple 85cents
bag of 1/2" flat washers $2.75

I had the Lollipop metal hunks they were drops from work. The Larger (5" dia one is 3/16") I welded the 3/8" rebar onto it but the 2.5" ones were cutout of 3/8" thick T1 scrap. These are only parts I didnt buy from Menards (or couldn't have bought from them some searching might find them someplace though and square would work fine.)

the Lollipop targets are welded to the nipples centered & canted towards the front so they hang tilted slightly to the back to deflect slugs downward as the target spins backwards.

I slipped the pipe nipples/targets with flat washers between them onto one of the 24" rebars, (one shown actually is a hunk of 24" x 1/2" S.S. I had but the Rebar SHOULD work fine) I Tack Welded a flat washer on outside edge lightly so the nipples are centered on the bar. the flat washers and nipples all float (other than 2 outside ones that are tacked on outside edge so they can be ground off if needed.) They swing pretty easy so even the 22 handgun will fling them 2 or 3 - 360's when ya hit them dead center.

I welded a flat washer on each of the 48" rebars on just the top end/edge. The top of the flat washer is about flush to the top of the rebar (on the side of the rebar) I made lefts & rights so when they are slid over the main rebar the washers are flat against each other .

a quick tack weld on the outside washer lets the inside legs float to level up the thing more on crooked ground.

On 2 of the 24" x 1/2" rebars I welded a flat washers one on each end, the (Sides legs) slide up thru them & lets them wiggle some & maintain distance. While 24" rebar was welded on the front pair of legs about 4" up from the bottom end (opposite of the flat washers) (not I sharpened the ends of the 48" front pair to stick into the dirt.) The back legs I welded on 6" of the 3/8" rebar sharpened so they stick into the dirt easier. then the last 24" x 1/2" rebar is welded between the back legs at this same joint at the bottom of the 48" rebar.

The 6"x3/8" pushes the rig forward so the front legs are about vertical to slightly leaning forward should a shot/slug hit them it is deflected downward.

Anyhow hope this helps I'll answer any questions if ya want to know.

Mark

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #2  
Oh, stuff to shoot at nothing I enjoy more. Here are some I put together.

TX star with counter rotating no shoot targets.

Assorted timed and moving target systems.

Non electric active and reactive targets.

Running target

Auto resetting plate racks.
platerack2.jpg

HPIM0395.jpg

Back side of a dueling tree.
tree.jpg

Long range reactive rifle target, when hit it swings back and you can see the red backer, when still the black one covers it up.
DSC02100.jpg

Auto reset long range rifle target.
HPIM0417.jpg

And a video of how it works.

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #4  
Interesting targets, I have seen and shot a lot of Texas stars, but I have never seen one with counter rotating no-shoots. Cool stuff.

James K0UA

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #5  
Two gears, two pillow blocks and an extra shaft.

funstar3.jpg

/ quick & fun steel target (standing)
those are some awesome shooting stuff there JW! those counter rotating stars with no shoots took some time.

Mine is pretty good, I put about 50 rounds into it today using the 10/22 from about 35yards. I found the splatter much more aggressive with the LR Hollow Points I forgot to take a picture of the splatter on the pipe nipples above the targets. I'm thinking of adding a flat hunk on top to keep any of that or ricochet rounds from going UP.

Mark

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #7  
Wow! You're into it big time,aren't you? Great job on those awesome targets! I have only shot a few times at a metallic type.
That was with a 9 mm pistol,which I'm not too accurate with.LOL! Now with a rifle(my 4 22 magnums or high-powered .22 pellet gun)I can shoot pretty well.
I always shoot the boughten targets or make my own out of cardboard. I like the ones that show fluorescent green on the hits and come with bullet hole cover pieces so you can shoot again.
My boys go with me to the shooting range(outdoors)and we have a BLAST!
Those are some really nice post and pics you came up with,Spiker and JWMorris! don-ohio :)^)

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #8  
Just curious, but any danger from the fragmentation of the projectile with these? I mean, can fragments splatter back at you?

/ quick & fun steel target (standing) #9  
Just curious, but any danger from the fragmentation of the projectile with these? I mean, can fragments splatter back at you?

Yes, there is always a risk.. That is why you always wear eye protection, and if you limit yourself to no closer than 10 yards, you will rarely be hit by fragments, and if you are they will usually do no harm.

James K0UA

/ quick & fun steel target (standing)
I've taken one or two bounced back rounds usually FMJ and have had fragments land back in area but nothing that (like mentioned eye ware required) would do much if any damage. I think worse one was NOT fired by me but one of the guys I was with which got me in shin about a little less than a paint ball damage. It was from a target similar to the knock-down style like the 5th & 6th style of JWMORRIS above's post.

platerack2.jpg

That was why I went with the self returning hanging style on my build as it does not deflect rounds UP or BACK but DOWN and Back & away when hit with harder rounds. FYI I never recommend using FMJ rounds for metal targets as they can retain their shape better & ricochet much easier off the metal. Not to mention can damage the metal targets.
The Hollow Points fragments are pretty small and are not likely to do much damage to anything other than real soft tissue (hence the eye-ware required.) They also are very small & have lost MOST of their energy on impact so maybe 100 yards at most with perfect trajectory.

Mark