DIY Bead Breaker

/ DIY Bead Breaker #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
Recently, when I removed my tractor tires from the rims so I could replace the rusted rims, I found that breaking the bead was exceptionally difficult, primarily due to corrosion caused by calcium chloride. After attempting other methods (wedges, etc..) I solved the problem by making a simple DIY bead breaker using nothing more than a length of wood 4x4 post and two short lengths of scrap wood.

s31ocx.jpg

The DIY bead breaker was constructed by securing one two foot length of scrap wood to the wall of my garage about 18 inches off the floor, before placing the tire and rim beneath it. A six to eight foot length of 4x4 post was then laid across the tire and positioned so that the end of it was beneath the length of scrap wood previously secured to the wall. The remaining short length of wood (about 12 inches long) was positioned and temporarily held so that the edge of it (cut on a slight angle) rested against the tire/rim interface (the bead), before lifting the 4x4 post and placing it across the short length of wood (held against the bead) and ensuring that the end of the 4x4 post was positioned under the edge of the piece of wood previously secured to the wall.

5dto3b.jpg

After the bead breaker is positioned, one simply applies pressure at the end of the 4x4 post to break the bead, rotating the tire slightly and repeating as necessary. Note that the whole process of assembling or positioning the DIY bead breaker sounds complicated in writing, but the reality of it is extremely simple.

The DIY bead breaker uses an engineering principal known as force amplification, where one end of a lever is placed on or against a fulcrum and a small force is applied to the other end, generating a large force at a point very close to the fulcrum. In this case, the lever used is classified as the second of three types or orders of levers. A wheelbarrow is a simple example of a second-order lever.

First-order levers:
  • the fulcrum is positioned between the effort and the load
  • the effort is smaller than the load
  • the effort moves further than the load
  • the lever can be considered as a force magnifier

Second-order Levers:
  • the effort and the load are positioned on the same side of the fulcrum but applied in opposite directions
  • the load lies between the effort and the fulcrum
  • the effort is smaller than the load
  • the effort moves further than the load
  • the lever can be considered as a force magnifier

Third-order Levers:
  • the effort lies between the load and the fulcrum
  • the effort is greater than the load
  • the load moves further than the effort
  • the lever can be considered as a distance magnifier

Using the formula "F*L=W*X" or "F=(W*X)/L" one can easily determine what any force being applied at the end of the lever will yeild at the point where the resistance or weight is being overcome. In the formula F is the force applied at the end of the lever, W is the weight or resistance being overcome, L is the length of the lever between the fulcrum and the point where the force is being applied, and X is the distance between the fulcrum and the weight or resistance being overcome.

jg6wxz.jpg

For example: If the lever was 8 feet long and the resistance (the bead) was 1 foot from the fulcrum, applying 25 pounds of force at the end of the lever would yield 200 pounds of force at the point of resistance (the bead), effectively magnifying the applied force by a factor of four. In other words... 25=(200*12)/96

As you can see from the images below, the DIY bead breaker works like a charm.

1ew8yu.jpg

28akyfn.jpg

Last edited:
   / DIY Bead Breaker #2  
Got any action pics?

/ DIY Bead Breaker
Got any action pics?

Unfortunately, I neglected to take any pictures as I was breaking the bead and removing the tires from the rims. However, I could easily recreate the process to demonstrate how the DIY bead breaker works, if necessary.

/ DIY Bead Breaker #4  
Unfortunately, I neglected to take any pictures as I was breaking the bead and removing the tires from the rims. However, I could easily recreate the process to demonstrate how the DIY bead breaker works, if necessary.

Yes please do as I too have CC in my tires to get rid of and need a plan of serious action!

/ DIY Bead Breaker #5  
Cool! That's good to know. How do you get them back on at home? I'm thinking about car tires too, for those unfortunate mishaps.

/ DIY Bead Breaker
Yes please do as I too have CC in my tires to get rid of and need a plan of serious action!

I created a 3d model of the DIY bead breaker and updated my original post to include additional pictures which you may find helpful.

/ DIY Bead Breaker #7  
I've been doing this for years, but I just use the frame of my truck or tractor as the anchor point. I just find a 2x4 and a block of the right length. As far as getting them back on, I don't have any magic methods other than getting the bead started down in the deepest part of the rim. Soap for lube, several tire irons, a hammer and lot of effort. Having two people helps.

/ DIY Bead Breaker #8  
Pro's just use a Duck-Bill Tire Hammer and Diesel, Kerosene, (and Gas) for a lubricant.
I've busted many dozens of large and small tires with this method.
The lubricant makes all the difference! Without it it is 10 times harder.
I have even used my FEL to put pressure on a bead to get it started.

/ DIY Bead Breaker #9  
Last edited:
   / DIY Bead Breaker #10  
I usually use the edge on the bucket on the loader to do this