Will the Ceiling Collapse?

/ Will the Ceiling Collapse?
I didn't see anything on how you will construct the dividing wall(s). One thing to be careful with is that you don't build anything solid under a truss. A farm publication I read some time back had examples of failed structures and they said one quick way to have the trusses fail is to add support where it wasn't originally designed to have it. They showed examples of failures and also details of how to make floating connections for supporting stuff inside the building.

My plan was take make 3 sets of moveable walls attached to one another (can take them out in the summer) 9'H x 8'W and then attach them to the bottom Chord of the truss with some brackets. I don't know if they would really be "supports" but they would be attached and would be solid. They would be made using 2'x4's like a standard wall.

/ Will the Ceiling Collapse? #12  
Why don't you just put 3' tin up? Just screw it right to the trusses, no 2X4's, taping, painting, etc. I had a 54 X 90 on 9' centers done this way. Have two other buildings on 7'6" centers done this way also.

Perfect Park.jpg

/ Will the Ceiling Collapse? #13  
I'm no engineer, but I'd suggest you seek advice from someone who really knows. You can get a lot of good input from people who enjoy tractors, but unless one of us has a "day job" designing structures, I'd look elsewhere for some advice on the interior wall details.

/ Will the Ceiling Collapse? #14  
You could use solid soffit panels, very light weight, easy to handle. The Styrofoam would probably be cheaper

/ Will the Ceiling Collapse?
Why don't you just put 3' tin up? Just screw it right to the trusses, no 2X4's, taping, painting, etc. I had a 54 X 90 on 9' centers done this way. Have two other buildings on 7'6" centers done this way also.

View attachment 303163

Most likely, I wouldn't be taping, painiting, etc. I'm not too concerned about looks, I just don't want the ceiling to collapse. At this point, I will probably just attach some light foam board (more insulation) and go with it that way.

Thanks for your help guys!

/ Will the Ceiling Collapse? #16  

View attachment 303163

I like the look of your shop. Since you've got so many toys you have to stack them, up, would you like to send one my way? :laughing:

/ Will the Ceiling Collapse? #17  
Camaro should be at Auburn, IN auction labor day weekend.

/ Will the Ceiling Collapse? #19  
most pole barns I have seen with a ceiling have sheet tin ceilings they look very nice,

/ Will the Ceiling Collapse? #20  

View attachment 303163

That's what I did in my shop...bright white steel, the ribs keep it very stiff and it's alot lighter than sheet rock. My contractor hates the thin "liner steel" (29ga maybe) so he did regular building steel (25ga???). Finished part of the shop is 40' long with trusses 8' on center...a 24' and a 16' did the job and it looks great. You can get it cut to length. You will need a poly sheet above.

A neat trick I learned from him (he does this for a living)...lay several sheets together. Mark out your screw holes and bang them HARD with a center punch. Peel the top sheets off to install but when the lower sheets start to lose the dent, slip new sheets underneath and hit the old dents again with the punch. It makes a very straight line and that dent is all you need to start the "pole barn" self tapping screws.

He learned the hard way that you can't drill them (rust issue). Amazing that you only have to lay out the screw holes once. Thought I'd share that.

Last edited: