Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this?

/ Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this? #1  

steveessie

Tractor
none
Is it possible to use blow-in insulation using hand application?

I am looking to insulate my drop ceiling in my pole barn, the cheapest way. I would be putting up 2x4 nailers between the bottom cord of my trusses at 24"OC. I would then put material up along the 2x4's and then fill the cavity with the insulation. I would do this for each and every cavity, moving along my ceiling as I go. (put up 2x4, material, insulation - then start all over at next spot, etc, etc...)

I know there is a "shake and rake" insulation material but it is 3x as expensive as the blow-in cellulose insulation. I have never handled blow-in insulation so I don't know if this is possible. This might be a little more time consuming but it's what is the cheapest for my application (blowing it like an attic won't work for my application).

Is it possible?

Thanks for all your help guys.

/ Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this? #2  
possible? sure... just more hand work.

my ex used to work for an insulation co.

their blow truck was nothing mor ethan a big box truck as a hopper and a blower tube essentially.

if you don't mind using some sort of scoop or other container to manhandle the loose fill.. it's no issue.

I'd suggest getting some sort of tyvek disposable painters suit and hoodie and masy and goggles and rubber gloves.. :)

i know hwent hey had leftover batting insulation from a job, they would run it thru a shredder and put it in the blow trucks

/ Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this? #3  
I am looking to insulate my drop ceiling in my pole barn

Not exactly sure what type of "drop" ceiling you will have but will it be able to hold the weight of blown-in insulation?

/ Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this? #4  
It can be doen this way, but you won't get the R rating for the thickness that's listed on the bag. Blown insulation needs to be fluffed with the blower, mixing air with it to created "dead air" space in it to achieve the rated R factor. Why not fit fiberglass bats inbetween your 2X4s? Would be less mess and give better insulation value.

/ Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this?
Not exactly sure what type of "drop" ceiling you will have but will it be able to hold the weight of blown-in insulation?

Yes, it will be studed with 2x4's, and will finish it with either drywall or foam board.

/ Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this?
It can be doen this way, but you won't get the R rating for the thickness that's listed on the bag. Blown insulation needs to be fluffed with the blower, mixing air with it to created "dead air" space in it to achieve the rated R factor. Why not fit fiberglass bats inbetween your 2X4s? Would be less mess and give better insulation value.

I've done half of the area with fiberglass bats but I was trying to save on money and 2x4's if possible.

/ Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this? #7  
use the batting around the edges/sides and the blow fill in the middle areas where you can get away with less R value and weight too..

if the foam baord you are using is rmax with a foil liner vs the unlind blue / pink board or the thick styrofoam.. you will have decent r value with some flow and rmax. heck.. doubleing up on anything helps... some fill.. some type of foam.. etc... all better than wind blowing thru and metal panels.. :)

/ Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this? #8  
I'd also be worried that the foam board on 24" centers wouldn't do very well holding the weight, though if the insulation will only be 3 1/2 deep, it may. As mentioned above, the cellulose has to be 'lofted' to get a decent R value. If there anyway you could perhaps do 1/2 of the ceiling at a time? Most places will loan you the blower if you buy 'X' number of bags, and you can blow the stuff a pretty good way. Using a blower would be one heck of a lot faster than trying to do it by hand

/ Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this? #9  
Is it possible to use blow-in insulation using hand application?

I am looking to insulate my drop ceiling in my pole barn, the cheapest way. I would be putting up 2x4 nailers between the bottom cord of my trusses at 24"OC. I would then put material up along the 2x4's and then fill the cavity with the insulation. I would do this for each and every cavity, moving along my ceiling as I go. (put up 2x4, material, insulation - then start all over at next spot, etc, etc...)

I know there is a "shake and rake" insulation material but it is 3x as expensive as the blow-in cellulose insulation. I have never handled blow-in insulation so I don't know if this is possible. This might be a little more time consuming but it's what is the cheapest for my application (blowing it like an attic won't work for my application).

Is it possible?

Thanks for all your help guys.
It might be worth it to make a couple phone calls to the stores that carry the blown-in insulation. Some places have a portable insulation blowing machine that they let customers use for a day or two if they buy the insultion there.

/ Blow-in Insulation Question - Can I do this? #10  
It might be worth it to make a couple phone calls to the stores that carry the blown-in insulation. Some places have a portable insulation blowing machine that they let customers use for a day or two if they buy the insultion there.
Meant "insulation" , not insultion, lol. These machines usually have a remote on-off switch so you can start and stop at will. That way you could do one row at a time without much of a mess.