Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build
Powder Coating CAN be touched up just as any other type of top coat. The fact remains Spray Can Paint is worst type of coating for longevity. If you scratch to base metal you still need to treat the base metal scratch for best results when touching up. Now it is a GRAPPLE and powder coating will hold up better than MOST ANY other finish (2 part epoxy paints, (IMRON) catalyzed enamels next best).

All that said the thickness of the metal used will outlast most of US that are posting here if left un painted on normal use...
Mark

Thanks for your opinion. I will get a quote from the powder coater.

First it looks like you are doing a great job on the grapple. When I saw the tines were only 5/16" I said that will bend quick, then I saw they were t-1. Good stuff, made many a truck frame from that stuff and it is tough!!! As far as the painting? are you guys kidding? If you use it like I use mine you will have hardy any paint left on anything except the top tube and cylinder! I would shoot it with the cheapest paint you can find because you will be touching it up ALOT. CJ

Thanks. The end tines are 3/8." If I paint it I will use the regular Kubota paint because it matches and covers good. It is around $30.00 a quart.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #92  
How does it not flash when you are welding???

I pour old engine oil in hollow tubes before welding them shut. Ever opened a tractor transmission that sat for a couple of years ? mostly there isnt much rust because the oil vapour prevents it. (unless the oil was already saturated with moisture)

With oil in a tube frame, welded shut, the oil will emulsify most moisture that remains inside the tubes (or penetrates over the years) and is a good rust inhibitor.

Band saw cuts are sure not enough, you must either shut it off as much as possible, or leave openings as big as possible so the wind can go through. But the latter has the disadvantage that dirt enters too, and dirt holds moisture even more..

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #93  
I used to work at a trailer manufacturer and most of the frames where rectangular tubing, and 75% of those got hot dipped. For the trailers that got galvanized, we would cut a 1" triangle out of 2 corners of each of the end caps for the galvanizing to get to the inside of the tube and be able to drain out. Actually, there's an option for you- galvanizing! Seem as how the grapple was free, maybe it would be worth the money. At the trailer company I worked at, they sent the parts to a place in MO IIRC to have it done.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #94  
How does it not flash when you are welding???
Weld one end shut, pour oil in from the top so it drips all the way down, far away from the top end where you are welding the end cap. Oil only flashes when heated, so when you're welding on top and the puddle is at the bottom, not much will happen.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #95  
I used to work at a trailer manufacturer and most of the frames where rectangular tubing, and 75% of those got hot dipped. For the trailers that got galvanized, we would cut a 1" triangle out of 2 corners of each of the end caps for the galvanizing to get to the inside of the tube and be able to drain out. Actually, there's an option for you- galvanizing! Seem as how the grapple was free, maybe it would be worth the money. At the trailer company I worked at, they sent the parts to a place in MO IIRC to have it done.

I too worked at a trailer builder, 100% of our frames were galvanised. Yes, you cant galvanise capped off tubes or they will explode in the zinc bath: zinc companies reject closed tubes for the safety of their personell, we once had an excursion to the galvanising plant, and they kept a 4" square tube as evidence, it was torn up over the full length, throwing 450ーC zinc all over the place. Luckily no one was in harms way at that moment. Its because air (and moist) trapped inside, will make it a steam kettle.

I would not galvanise a grapple, as hinge pins would need redrilling because of the zinc layer thickness, you get drips especially inside holes. Next to that, we allways welded crossbeams of trailer decks in pairs: two left, two right. We once had a new guy who thought it was quicker to weld 5 left, 5 right, but when that frame came back from the galvanising plant, it was curved in an S shape because the zinc bath temperature releases all internal tensions in a frame. Generally, its not wise to galvanise thin walled tubing which is welded to heavy gauge plate, because of rapid warming up in the zinc bath: the thin walled tubing heats up fast, thus expanding. the heavy plates need more time to get to the same temperature (with the expansion rate that goes with it) which create tensions. At a company i worked, they welded a heavy flatbar to a thin walled truss construction. After galvanising the flatbar was cracked loose from the thin walled truss because of this.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #96  
Bullitt,
Nice job so far and I apoligize for starting a paint vs. powdercoat debate, don't wan't this to take away from your build.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build
Bullitt,
Nice job so far and I apoligize for starting a paint vs. powdercoat debate, don't wan't this to take away from your build.

Thats okay. I had been thinking about powdercoat anyway. I am still confused.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #98  
Thats okay. I had been thinking about powdercoat anyway. I am still confused.

I used to be a big powdercoat fan until I started messing with snowplows and trailers that were powdercoated. Any chip that moisture could get in makes the stuff peal off in sheets. No more powdercoating for me on anything I plan on using. CJ

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #99  
Thanks for your opinion. I will get a quote from the powder coater.

Thanks. The end tines are 3/8." If I paint it I will use the regular Kubota paint because it matches and covers good. It is around $30.00 a quart.

The lift pole I just built got painted Chevrolet Orange. it actually matches the Kioti orange really good. [ I just hope it does not break down because of it!!]CJ

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #100  
I used to be a big powdercoat fan until I started messing with snowplows and trailers that were powdercoated. Any chip that moisture could get in makes the stuff peal off in sheets. No more powdercoating for me on anything I plan on using. CJ

Powdercoating is like everything else, if done correctly it won't chip off like paint does. If properly sand blasted and baked properly it won't flake or peel off in sheets. My rock bucket (Worksite Pro 66"), service truck frame and many other items are all powdercoated and are over 8 years old with no problems. All of these are in the weather full time 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.