Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #121  
It is not rusty at all. It would mainly need degreased.
I would sandblast it anyways, just to roughen the surface so the coating sticks better. At work, we have the frames welded and painted abroad, and when they havent sandblasted the edges of the steel plates, you can peel the paint right off. sandblasting isnt just to remove rust or slag, it gives way better attachment of the paint to the steel.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #122  
It is not rusty at all. It would mainly need degreased.
I would sandblast it anyways, just to roughen the surface so the coating sticks better. At work, we have the frames welded and painted abroad, and when they havent sandblasted the edges of the steel plates, you can peel the paint right off. sandblasting isnt just to remove rust or slag, it gives way better attachment of the paint to the steel.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #123  
I think if it was me I would paint it with bed liner coating. Just roll it on, nothing more than a roller to get dirty. Should be able to do it for about half what powder coat would cost and you can touch it up whenever you want. There's lots of colors to choose from if you don't want black. I bet it would stand up as well as powder coat.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #124  
Looks like fun! Keep us updated and Congradulations.

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #125  
I think if it was me I would paint it with bed liner coating. Just roll it on, nothing more than a roller to get dirty. Should be able to do it for about half what powder coat would cost and you can touch it up whenever you want. There's lots of colors to choose from if you don't want black. I bet it would stand up as well as powder coat.

That might work well, Other than you have to get the "NON-SLIPPY" stuff & not sure how well it would hold on the edged of the teeth of the tines.

Mark

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build

i had thought about that but I did not know how well it would hold up. It is definitely easy to touch up.

Looks like fun! Keep us updated and Congradulations.

Thanks, it is fun.

That might work well, Other than you have to get the "NON-SLIPPY" stuff & not sure how well it would hold on the edged of the teeth of the tines.

Mark

I was concerned about it breaking off around the edges but I guess paint or powder coat would too.

I did not have as much time as I had hoped to work on it today, nothing ever goes as planned.

I still have not heard anything back from the powdercoater yet and I am not holding my breath. I may call another place Monday and see what they say.

I got the top and sides of the SSQA tacked on. I need to test fit on the tractor then burn it in. While it is on the tractor I can figure out were to mount the bottom of the SSQA. I hit the wrong button on my camera app so the pictures look a little funny or "vintage" as the app calls it.

20130309222155802_zpsa4dd3ab8.jpg

20130309222147586_zps5e9d28ed.jpg

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #128  
If it helps, some of that 'bed liner coating' seems to hold up really well. I've seen people shoveling gravel out of the bed and it's still fine afterwards. I didn't ask about specific brands that they were using though.

Now if your powder coating starts chipping, that will be a more expensive touch-up.

And just to help us TBN'ers if you could use the bedliner stuff, and give us a review...........we could be sure at that point:thumbsup:

/ Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Build #129  
The build looks awesome!! Great job. I have quite a lot of stuff around here that is powder coated. I used to think it was the greatest thing, but have changed my mind over the years. One of the things with your grapple that may be better to have it painted verses powder coated is when/ or if you bend it or break it. If it is painted it will be an easier repair to make in my mind. Grind off some paint or heat with the torch to straighten and repair, then shoot some more paint. From repairs I have done on powder coated stuff, it is a pain to sand off and match the color and look with paint. With all the holes and pieces it will be no fun to paint though and you will use alot of paint. :2cents:

If it helps, some of that 'bed liner coating' seems to hold up really well. I've seen people shoveling gravel out of the bed and it's still fine afterwards. I didn't ask about specific brands that they were using though.

Now if your powder coating starts chipping, that will be a more expensive touch-up.

And just to help us TBN'ers if you could use the bedliner stuff, and give us a review...........we could be sure at that point:thumbsup:

I doubt I will truck bed coat it.

The build looks awesome!! Great job. I have quite a lot of stuff around here that is powder coated. I used to think it was the greatest thing, but have changed my mind over the years. One of the things with your grapple that may be better to have it painted verses powder coated is when/ or if you bend it or break it. If it is painted it will be an easier repair to make in my mind. Grind off some paint or heat with the torch to straighten and repair, then shoot some more paint. From repairs I have done on powder coated stuff, it is a pain to sand off and match the color and look with paint. With all the holes and pieces it will be no fun to paint though and you will use alot of paint. :2cents:

One thing I was thinking the powder coat had going for it was I would not have to paint it. You are right it does not look like it would be easy to paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.